Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: stich626's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View stich626's profile Entries: 10
Views: 971
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

02-22-2012 11:29 PM The TwoTonShu #10
If you'll remember I took this

and after some work had this..

but as you can see the top three gauges don't quite fit the trim plate..
So , starting with this..

and this

marked out some measured rings

took the wood over to the drill press and with a half dozen hole saws.. cut out rings

so now to stain them as close as I can to match the walnut grant wheel

and a few coats of ploy

they are a little darker than the wheel, but are getting a little lighter as I add ploy coats..
have about three more coats..
it'll be close enough to the wheel for a homemade dash gauge panel

sadly most of these parts have been collecting dust in the basement since 2003-4

more to come

[Entry #10]

02-22-2012 11:27 PM The TwoTonShu #9
new rear shoes, that I installed in july
snow and winter is coming, I need to get better so I can get the bed on the truck before it's stuck in snow..

no real updates,, making wood fillers for the 3 top gauges as they just didn't look right. try this and see, and match (stain) to the grant wheel..
sold some stuff , so I have some funds to work with..(550)
updates soon , I hope..

well, it was 50* out today.. normally it's 0-20* so I hit the junkyards to see what if anything I could score..
first up was the powerbrake brackets and pushrods.. the booster and master are only saved for cores... I'd rebuild the master but it's got 40 years of rust..
Next was '86 van sidemarker lights.. the mid 70-88(maybe even newer) van side maker lights fit the 68-72 trucks and look better than even the69-72 deluxe side markers,, 2nd gen f body t/a markers and trim work with a little mods .. but the vans are flat and smooth..
The turn signal lights on my 71 are in the bumper.. these will get moved into the grill area.. the holes in the bumper will (hopefully) become fog lights..
if not the 88-up chevy trucks air dam (think 454SS or sport package) fit these trucks you just have to add brackets for the ends that angle back and out and have cut outs for fog lights..(these trucks had two types one airdam with use of tow hooks and one without tow hooks).. you want the latter..
so in this planning I looked at aftermarket fog lights..rectangle ..hella and piaa. make nice lights.. and are mighty proud of them.. (read $$$)
So, what to do.. 1997-2001 jeep cheroke (not grand) come with rectangle fog lights made down under found 2 sets.. and I'll have 2 and a spare.. ones broken.. three 10mm bolts hold them on. and even tho. there is a left and a right they are the same ,the bracket has a bent finger that is basicly there so they mount them in the right spot on the inner bumper on the jeep(not needed here) ..
Painless wiring is a great company.. but.. junkyards cheaper.. so I hit up a few late 80's mopar k car based(almost everything they made) and got the relays off the driverside strut tower.. the bracket holds 2 relays,, and some cars have a third that locks into the bracket.. and a single relay that is mopars fan relay..
why a fan relay,, I'm adding an electric fan.. now on the 67-72 trucks the fan shroud hole is a nice size.. so nice that a jeep electric fan fits the shroud.. like it was factory..
now if you can find one at a junkyard great.. but why bother.. here is the jeep part #CBG4F250, it's a recall replacement fan.. (meaning your local dealer might not sell it to you without a vin.. for the recall..) but this place does https://www.moparpart.com/oem-jeep-parts.html .. it's a whopping 59.00 .. there will be a write up when it gets here and I do the install.. cheap and easy 15hp.. between the fan the relays and the sender.. I'm into it for under 100.00 including shipping.. alot of g.m. cars/trucks have this sized opening in the fan shroud.. so.. this is a nice option.
There was a few other things, I was looking at,, console out of a 90's blazer.. and buckets seats out of the much hated pontiac astek.. might need wider colsole. I'll measure and then go back and see if this will work... thats all.. more to come..

[Entry #9]

02-22-2012 11:24 PM The TwoTonShu #8
other things that have been done but are not worthy of photos,,
greased everything, man they have zerks everywhere..
new front brakes, new rear brakes, new rear rubber line and driver side steel line as a hammer hit it.. :an:
new valvecover gaskets,(not yet installed..)
new tranny filter and gasket, input and output shaft seals,
new tranny mount.. new modulator valve,
air cleaner for q jet, reuse the one from my defunked 88 t/a
junkyard crawl, mid 80's dodge k car relay bracket(holds two relays) for use with headlights.. to take that load off the cab harness and switch.. and get a full 14.3 volts to the lights instead of the 11 they where getting..
new headlights with halo rings and h4 bulbs,, (not installed yet)

ordered today a new battery tray, door handles, as I welded one back together and it's on borrowed time, and a s/s fuel filler to install in the bed,,

and this is on my to do list, it's a warranty replacement jeef ele. fan and it fits nicely in the truck shroud
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=254617
X MAS ADD ONS.

took the poland springs 5 gallon coin bank and rolled the coin for this years x mas gifts.. and came up with a little extra..so..

if I'm gonna take this on the powertour I'd like to see

these use h4 bulbs have a blue accent led for the parking light and a blue halo rings.. and they are glass

the driverside door handle was mickey moused the button spring plate fingers broke and the plate is now welded to the pot metal/cast handle.. it's on borrowed time, brothers had a sale so..

pair.. 109.00 made here

I like my tunes, and the incab tank is coming out.. these are made to go into the cab corner area and house speakers, normally 6by9 I asked for blank ones, so I can use 6.5" seperates.. center area will be built and hold a tool kit /etc maybe a sub.. that will be next year..

no matter where you buy a vehicle battery acid don't care and my truck was no different rotted battery tray..

brothers had sale 49.00

with new tank under the bed you need a filler.. this is a s/s filler that is a boat filler that brothers sells as a bed filler.. and it was cheaper to get it on sale from brothers than all the marine places here on this coast...the marine places think they are gold..

39.00 still to much for this but will look better than the 90's jeep filler I was gonna try..

[Entry #8]

02-22-2012 11:23 PM The TwoTonShu #7
pick up's have a rake to them unloaded, and well, this more than likely will never see 1000 lb in bed again.. I wanted to level it out some..
drop springs are not all that much ,but the funds are awol
so.. for 22.76
I got this 2.5 by 2.5" 1/4" tube overkill yes

must add some holes..

done, if the open tube wissles I'll close one end

and well with this all apart I desided now was as good of time as any to replace the 3 u joints and carrier bearing, well the bearing was shot.. hehe

other things that have been done but are not worthy of photos,,
greased everything, man they have zerks everywhere..
new front brakes, new rear brakes, new rear rubber line and driver side steel line as a hammer hit it.. :an:
new valvecover gaskets,(not yet installed..)
new tranny filter and gasket, input and output shaft seals,
new tranny mount.. new modulator valve,
air cleaner for q jet, reuse the one from my defunked 88 t/a
junkyard crawl, mid 80's dodge k car relay bracket(holds two relays) for use with headlights.. to take that load off the cab harness and switch.. and get a full 14.3 volts to the lights instead of the 11 they where getting..
new headlights with halo rings and h4 bulbs,, (not installed yet)

ordered today a new battery tray, door handles, as I welded one back together and it's on borrowed time, and a s/s fuel filler to install in the bed,,

and this is on my to do list, it's a warranty replacement jeef ele. fan and it fits nicely in the truck shroud
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=254617

[Entry #7]

02-22-2012 11:21 PM The TwoTonShu #6
because I like to turn and not have the door handles on the road I high jacked this from a 3/4 ton 85 c-10 front sway bar..
the hot ticket for the rear is a late 80's iroc bar, still hunting the junkyards for that

clean rear arms with bushings burnt out..

new bushings

if only we had smell o net 40 y/o gear oil yummy

new track arm buchings and painted arm

it all buttoned up

it's a 12 bolt 3.08 gears one peg leg.. it'll stay that way untill I see if I need posi.. read, untill 496 goes in..

[Entry #6]

Pages (2): [1] 2