To insure a strong frame mount for the pan hard bar, I added an additional bar from the frame mount back to the frame where the buggy spring was once mounted. The effect was to triangulate the pan hard support and strengthen it against side forces. A center bracket was built in the shape of a three sided pyramid. I did this after I received feed back advise from this sites members who thought such a long pan mount may flex. Thanks for the feed back. This modification has improved the design 100%
To clarify the pan hard mount I've added a couple pics. The passenger Axle mount was fitted with two quarter inch steel and two adjustment holes for the pan bar. See the pic below of the red painted axle mount. The drop Frame extensions on the driver side levels the pan bar at ride height just behind the front axle. This way the bat wings do not take the load and are free to function. The pan bar connects right to the axle bracket. The drivers side axle bracket does not need a pan hard mount welded to it
The upper mounts are two pieces and consists of a permanent tower and a U-shaped shock mount that bolts to the tower using 1/2 -20 grade 8 bolts.I used a two piece mount so the upper shock mounting bolt angle can be matched to caster of the lower bolt around 7-8 dgrees. The two bolt holes can be drilled to match any angle. The tower welds the frame and the horn together, insuring strength at the joint. The tower uses gussets to support the height. I broke away from my normal use of hack saws and saws-all's and purchased an Everlast 50p plasma cutter for this job. It is a great machine.
I've had it with the stiff ride of the single leaf suspension. There are way too many pot holes in the northeast. I wanted to engineer a bolt on bracket for the axle so there was no risk of changing the camber due to welding heat. In addition, this car may pop the front wheels some day and I wanted a sure mount. I planned using the original perch bolts and added two grade 5 u-bolts. To insure a proper functioning bat wing, I used tapered washers from speedway next to the perch nuts and left about .005-008 gap between the nut and shock mount torquing them to 50lbs. The 3/8-24 u-blots are torqued to 35lbs. 1/4&quot;x 4&quot; angle iron started my fabrication project. I carefully ground cradles (using my belt sander) to hold the axle opposite the u-blots for a wrapped fit. The passenger side was fitted with a pan hard mount. The drivers side pan mount attaches to the frame. Sweet, now what to do for the top mount.......