Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Fe Block's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Fe Block's profile Entries: 9
Views: 950
now viewing from the beginning || view most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

03-06-2012 04:32 PM Adding a Chopped radiator and grill to a Model A Ford
The first question to ponder was maintaining cooling with a 400ci sbc. The current radiator assembly is just too tall. Lowering it would interfere with the center-link steering. But I needed it lowered 2"-3". So it's out with the old Walker, and in with a new Champion 3, 3/4" core 3" lowered radiator. Once I cut the existing shroud, we needed a new custom grill and a electric fan that would pull the cfm's needed.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

03-07-2012 05:28 PM Building the grill for the Model A Ford
The grill is made out of stainless 3/8 tubing and 3/4 angle. Tack welded with my mig, stainless wire .024, and helium/argon/co2, tri gas. The bottom 3/4 angle is mounted so no weight is placed on the radiator, but it uses the car frame radiator mounts, so it can move with the radiator (on top of the rubber pad). The top of the grill 3/4 angle was made and includes bent tabs, the stainless tabs uses flat aluminum extensions that are attached to the radiator's aluminum mounting tabs (1/4 20 bolts and lock nuts). Neither the top or bottom of the grill touches the radiator, and maintains an 1/8 clearance. Silicone Rescue Tape is wrapped around the grill ears (or anywhere the shroud may touch the grill) so the shroud can touch the tape/grill but there will be no vibration with this high temp buffer. Add a bit of Wild Strawberry paint to the shroud and it's a match! Next a cooling fan!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

03-07-2012 05:59 PM Adding the Electric Fan to the Model A Ford
The Champion radiator measured 17" by 17" within the cores. Jegs sells a 2800 cfm fan with shroud for a 79-93 5.0L (555-52135) that fits this radiator perfectly. The jegs fan controls were removed in order to mount this fan but DERALE adjustable electric fan controller part # 16759 was the perfect control for this application. All the electronics fit inside the cars body, and the temperature probe can be extended to any length. The hardware that comes with this fan was used to make feet that simply sit atop of two opposing pieces of aluminum angle (like a "T") so no weight is on the radiator. Note that black car door trim was used a rubber bumper between the aluminum angle and the fan's feet. One, 1/4 " bolt on the top holds this shroud assembly in place. No holes or brackets in the radiator! I've run the engine at full temperature during idle speeds and it cools great. A heavy foot road test on a 90 degree day will be the final test. I am waiting for warmer weather!!!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

10-14-2012 10:44 AM Tested and working perfectly
This was one of the warmest summers on record and this new cooling system works like its name "a champion" THE 400 SBC ran cooler than it ever did with the old Walker. I mainatined 180 degree operating temp and in traffic the fan came on at 205 and cooled the motor immediately. Next project is to remove the mono spring and install front coil overs! Someday a 406 with a 6-71.........

[Entry #6]

01-28-2013 08:24 PM Coil Over Shocks on a Model A Ford
I've had it with the stiff ride of the single leaf suspension. There are way too many pot holes in the northeast. I wanted to engineer a bolt on bracket for the axle so there was no risk of changing the camber due to welding heat. In addition, this car may pop the front wheels some day and I wanted a sure mount. I planned using the original perch bolts and added two grade 5 u-bolts. To insure a proper functioning bat wing, I used tapered washers from speedway next to the perch nuts and left about .005-008 gap between the nut and shock mount torquing them to 50lbs. The 3/8-24 u-blots are torqued to 35lbs. 1/4"x 4" angle iron started my fabrication project. I carefully ground cradles (using my belt sander) to hold the axle opposite the u-blots for a wrapped fit. The passenger side was fitted with a pan hard mount. The drivers side pan mount attaches to the frame. Sweet, now what to do for the top mount.......

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

Pages (2): [1] 2