Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 27TRoadsterguy's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 27TRoadsterguy's profile Entries: 6
Views: 1169
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

12-24-2012 07:08 PM Frame Basics
The suspension evolved from its original concept, as an IRS corvette rear to a much simpler solid axle, with triangulated 4 link suspension. The Dana axle sports 13.5 in.disk brakes with large piston GM calipers. Track width with the 17in. diam.x 9in.W(-5.5in.offset) aluminum rims and P305/40R17 tires is 58in. The pictures don't include the Goodyear Dominator 6 in.air bags and Monroe shocks, they weren't installed at the time of the pictures. The next update will include the IFS, I am not a fan of solid axles, and I don't mind the look of the Mustang II IFS on an open engined vehicle provided its equipped with coil overs. The IFS is a Welders Series #20908 for 58in.track width. I am using tubular control arms, and Shockwave coil overs with it, but then this will be in place sometime in January.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

05-24-2012 12:36 PM View of cam gear and noitice
Looks like I will need some special gear to replace the cam gear. Has anyone ever done this? I am not a machinist, I am just as grass garage mechanic

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

05-24-2012 12:31 PM Engine Pics
Well the project has slowed to a crawl. I have decided to turbo the engine. I have created 3 tubular manifolds, one for each pair of cylinders. Each cylinder is now fed from a Weber 32/36 progressive 2 barrel carburetor. At present I am running it non boosted, with a pair of Clifford shorty headers. I am constructing the plumbing for a pair of older turbines, one on cylinders 1,2,&3, and the other on cylinders 4,5,& 6. The fans will pressurize a manifold with 3 outlets which will feed the carbs and a blow off valve pressure relief valve. Pressurizing the carbs is very simple, Weber makes top hats that are used for remote air cleaners and snorkels for these carbs. I have acquired this hardware, as well as a fuel pressure regulator which has a sensing line which is attached to the boost manifold. This provides fuel pressure that is biased according to the boost pressure(normal fuel pressure + boost pressure).
My hand made manifolds have been running very well. Each manifold is electrically heated to overcome one of the problems which the 6 cylinder engines have had. Up until now, manifolds have been heated with either exhaust gasses (which tends to be too hot, and tends to be hard to control) or heated water (which is not available until the engine warms up). The difficulties without heat is poor performance, balking, poor mileage. Gasoline tends to pool in the manifold and actually freezes in low pressure conditions (full throttle operation).
I have been experimenting with electrical heating which works well with tubular manifolds. The problem with electrical heating is that it is parasitic, and will take 2 -3 hp from the engine power output. Heat from the engine sources is already available, and is not parasitic and hence has no affect on engine performance, however it is difficult to employ effectively, especially in tubular manifold applications. Electrical heat can be turned on or off as required, and can be regulated to suit the need. I have found it very good in performance applications.(more on this later).

I have run into another issue. Looks like I have lost one or more teeth from my cam gear, the engine suddenly lost power and started backfiring from cylinders 5/6. Vacuum levels have dropped significantly on cylinders 3/4/5 &6. I will need to change the cam gear( the new gear is aluminum not plastic/fiber. Anyone ever done this ??

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

11-13-2011 12:01 AM The Patient meets the Doctor - Day 3
When my wife first saw my treasure. her first words were " what a piece of junk", and then " it'll never run". My wife is not a seasoned wife of a hot rodder, so the gauntlet had been dropped. My first task was to clean it up so it didn't look and smell like a barnyard. I spent all yesterday with various and sundry scrapers and wire brushes and a can of chevy orange spray paint( a temporary coating to cover the cleaned parts) At this point it was 4 AM I staggered upstairs fell into bed and passed out. My wife was at work so there was no one there to annoy with the wire wheels and grinders.
I awoke at 10 in the morning and headed back downstairs, slipping out of bed quietly so as not to awaken my wife who had come in sometime around 6am. After a quick breakfast I spent 3 hours or so with final cleanup. The chore of running this thing was very simple, a feed to the hei ignition with a twisted connection so a tug on it to shut it down just in case things didn't go too well. I wired in a pushbutton from the battery terminal to the solenoid terminal on the starter. I had checked the oil level on the dipstick which was ok although had a very dark color. I plumbed up a pressure gauge just in case. Well I was ready for lift off. I brought in my son for assistance just in case. i pumped the carb a couple of times then hit the start button and was rewarded with a fast very irregular idle then it died after a few repeats of the usual procedure, and fiddling with the choke it settled into a very irregular idle. (at least its running). I let it warm up till I was getting steam out of the temporary rad cap opening, cant run it pressurized, the rad leaks like a sieve. I shut it down and went back to the basics. After a cooling period, I pulled the plugs and found what I expected, black and gaps all over the place. time for a trip to the auto parts store.
Before I went shopping I checked the compression, low was #1 at 150 psi....high was #6 at 160 psi, the rest were 153 to 157 psi. Not great, but with not knowing the compression factor cant tell how bad it really is. BUT it should run reasonably well with the way it is.So off to UAP for plugs. This was another treat. When I asked for 6 R44T plugs, she said What plug number? Since this motor was probably built before she was born, I just asked her for the plug cross reference books, and came up with a Bosch Platinum plus plug with all the proper specs, which by good fortune she had in stock The sales girl asked me what it was for and when I told her, she told me she had never heard of that type of engine. LOL
After checking the gap and installing the plugs. We fired up the engine and after a short warm up we were rewarded with a regular idle. Much to my wife's surprise, although she did have to complain at how loud it was, which I can understand, its right out of the manifold. Ya gotta love em!
So now new chrome valve and side covers, new starter, new fuel pump, new HEI, and new alternator are on order.

I think the carb will be a new ProjectionIII from Professional Products, and a Clifford Research single 4150 style manifold. That should get good performance without boost, and then when I decide on supercharge or turbocharge the projection can handle up to to 21 lbs of boost. Ah to dream. Well its 0130 and its time for bed...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

11-10-2011 09:27 PM I cannot type either
The serial is ME06594,

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

Pages (2): [1] 2