Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: speedball's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View speedball's profile Entries: 2
Views: 654
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

09-09-2011 10:05 AM Heads and intake are finally off!!!!
Since I last posted I have soaked the rusty bolts 3-5 times a day in PB-Blaster. It was really really bad and the bolt heads were really gone. I could go into detail but what I ultimately ended up doing was working very slowly focusing on one bolt at a time. 6 of the intake bolts had the heads literally twist off with hardly any effort. I used a sawzall and 4 blades to cut them from the heads.

Below are two photos of what the 400 small block engine looks like with the intake manifold and heads removed. As you can see mice decided to build a home inside. I checked the cylinder bore with an inside micrometer and it has never been bored out.

Mike

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

09-06-2011 10:56 AM Taking apart a free but rusty Chevy 400
I figured that since I'm balls deep at this point I should just start a journal. I received a free small block Chevy 400 and a free TH-350 transmission. This is my starting point because I don't have a project car yet. I'm thinking about a T-Bucket but time will tell I guess, I figured I will just work on the engine and figure things out as I go.

The photos in this entry are before anything was taken apart. It's rusted pretty bad, to the point where the bolt heads fall off after scrapping it with a putty knife.

Mike

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]