Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Supercharged03's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Supercharged03's profile Entries: 104
Views: 20522
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (21): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

07-09-2014 09:13 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Attached the S10 front fender mounting bracket to the bed side at the bottom of the fender and the top.
I bent a piece of 18 gauge to fill the gap between the top fender mounting bracket and the bed side. The door edge gap is much closer to stock now that the bracket position is fixed.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #104]

07-08-2014 09:03 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
The fender attachment to the cab was retained from the original front fender and welded to the bed side, but it's been hanging since then. I added a brace fabricated from one of the interior door frames from the Malibu doors. I'll need to brace the fender attachment in a couple of more places.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #103]

07-08-2014 08:49 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I have decided that adding a small piece to the edge of the fender will not work. The transition between the leading edge of the door and the trailing edge of the original fender is indented compared to the new transition to the refitted bed side. The small piece will leave the indention in place.

I have decided to use a piece of the bed side I purchased for the grill shell to splice into the fender and the door. I trimmed a bit of the piece to fit around the A-pillar and flattened the top edge with the English wheel.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #102]

06-23-2014 09:21 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Started working on the last piece for the passenger side A-pillar - the fender junction. The piece needs to parallel the windshield frame and curve from horizontal to near vertical. Using a cardboard pattern, I cut a piece of 18-gauge to shape and rolled the windshield edge with the pipe elbow dolly and a piece of 1/8 inch bar steel. Now, working on the horizontal-to-vertical transition with the elbow dolly and a hammer.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #101]

06-22-2014 07:52 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Finished the passenger side A-pillar today. Here's the piece I fabricated next to the cardboard pattern I made to start. Welded the piece in, merging the windshield frame to the door jamb. I am really pleased with the welding improvement after fixing the mig gun. I have been dreading all of these welds unnecessarily. Hundreds of tacks executed today with very few burn-throughs, almost all with good penetration. I am stoked!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #100]

Pages (21): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21