Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Supercharged03's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Supercharged03's profile Entries: 108
Views: 20774
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (22): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

08-03-2013 09:15 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Continued working on the cowl cover.. Used the patterns to cut openings for the wiper arms. Used my son's bead roller to embed a pattern into the cowl. Didn't have much luck using the English wheel to roll the leading edge over, so I used a hammer and dolly to work the 90 degree edge into place. I hit that edge with the shrinker and have the piece looking like it might work.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #63]

07-07-2013 07:57 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
A good night's sleep and fresh daylight remind one why certain metal bowls are called 'hammered'. The bowl I made looks like a piece of bad folk art.

Luckily, I considered using a cardboard pattern. Ah, inspiration! An hour with a piece of cardboard and a knife leads to a much better design for the bowl beneath the wiper arm.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #62]

07-06-2013 02:07 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
The cowl cover requires some dimples, or bowls, around the wiper arm pivots. Taking hints from others on this site who use tree stumps for anvils, I brought a cedar stump home from the lake this past spring. I fashioned some holes and bumps in it with the grinder and set about whacking a piece of 20 gauge with a pear-shaped plastic hammer. Here's some progress.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #61]

06-23-2013 05:42 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
My only disappointment with the photo journal here on Hotrodders.com is the inability to comment on the journals. For Father's Day, my daughter copied all of my posts in this journal to a blog on Google.

http://s10hotrod.blogspot.com/

I'll continue to post here, but I plan to duplicate each post on the blog. Feel free to visit the blog and add comments if you like.

[Entry #60]

06-23-2013 05:31 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
More work on the cowl cover today. First, I completed installation of the edging for the bottom of the windshield frame. Originally, this edging was to be the primary support for the wiper arm pivots but it has evolved into a simple reinforcement for the lower edge of the frame. The edging was cut from some one-inch square tubing. Relief cuts allow me to bend the piece to match the curvature of the windshield frame. With the edging complete, I cut reliefs in the cowl cover to allow the bent edge of the cowl cover to slide under the edging while cover rests on the wiper arm supports. I'll have to add a fourth unused support on the passenger side over the wiper motor.

Hopefully, I am past my period of inactivity.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #59]

Pages (22): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22