Now, I can finally attach the exterior portion of the A pillar that I started shaping back in May. This piece fills the gaps between the exterior 2001 Malibu door frame and the windshield frame. I got it close to fitting with the English wheel and some careful trimming, then rolled the leading edge to meet the windshield frame with a hammer and dolly. I am really pleased with my first attempt to use the English wheel. Thanks to everyone who ever posts 'how to' videos on Hotrodders and You Tube!
Moving back to the passenger side A pillar, I thought I should work on the interior portion of the pillar first. The piece was pretty easy to shape as it did not need much of a compound curve. It attaches the 2001 Malibu interior to the inside edge of the windshield frame.
Fashioned a patch to enclose the top of the S10 driver's side door in front of the Malibu window frame. Made a cardboard pattern, cut a piece of 18-gauge, bent ot using a piece of 1/4 flat bar and welded it in place.
Once the top of the door was tacked in place, I started on the roof-to-door frame opening. I started with a piece of the S10 A-pillar that was already shaped. The Malibu roof edge had been roughly braced and suspended over the top of the new window frame, so a proper attachment to the S10 door frame is necessary to form a viable A-pillar. The first photo shows the patch piece as it was removed. The second shows the gap to be bridged. The third shows the patch piece tacked in place and the fourth shows another patch piece formed to hold the door weatherstripping.