Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Supercharged03's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Supercharged03's profile Entries: 110
Views: 21092
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (22): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22

06-17-2012 09:05 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Moved on to the driver's side A-pillar. Again used a piece of the S10 A-pillar to create a primary brace.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #30]

06-17-2012 08:59 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Fashioned a patch to enclose the top of the S10 driver's side door in front of the Malibu window frame. Made a cardboard pattern, cut a piece of 18-gauge, bent ot using a piece of 1/4 flat bar and welded it in place.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #29]

06-05-2012 09:22 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Once the top of the door was tacked in place, I started on the roof-to-door frame opening. I started with a piece of the S10 A-pillar that was already shaped. The Malibu roof edge had been roughly braced and suspended over the top of the new window frame, so a proper attachment to the S10 door frame is necessary to form a viable A-pillar. The first photo shows the patch piece as it was removed. The second shows the gap to be bridged. The third shows the patch piece tacked in place and the fourth shows another patch piece formed to hold the door weatherstripping.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #28]

06-05-2012 09:10 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I figured I should complete the junction between the Malibu roof and the S10door opening before enclosing the area with the outer panel and windshield frame. First, I thought I should finish the top of the S10 door where the Malibu window frame attaches to the door. The first photo shows the gap at the top of the S10 door. I made a pattern out of cardboard, cut a piece of 18 gauge cold-rolled steel to match, and bent it using a piece of 1/4" x 1" flat bar. I left enough on the outside of the door to cover the relief on the S10 door intended for the original window molding. I also matched the piece to the inside edge of the door panel.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #27]

05-21-2012 08:28 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
After fitting the windshield into the mounted frame, I found that the edge of the glass would be an inch from the edge of the existing Malibu door frame. I don't think this would look right without the rubber gasket as I plan to mount this glass only with urethane. I also need to fashion a piece to fill the space at the top of the A pillar between the top of the original Malibu rear window and the new windshield frame. A while back, I purchased a small English wheel, so I decided to make a first attempt at using it.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #26]

Pages (22): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.