Had to rework the channel for the wiper pivots as I messed up the first attempt. The second attempt uses a shallower channel that is easier to bend and relief cuts only in the top of the channel.
I thought the wiper arms would be easier to work with if they were outside of the weatherproof cab, so I have started the interior firewall. I think the car will have two firewalls: one to enclose the cab and a second to hide the brake master cylinder and A/C box.
Started on the windshield wipers today. I've decided to use three wiper blades, like on old MGs or late model Toyota FJ Cruiser. My son gave me a wiper motor and frame from a 2005 Silverado (one of the custom trucks he's worked on) and I bought a third pivot and wiper arm from the local auto recycler. I traced the range of the wiper arm movement onto some cardboard scraps and placed the scraps in front of the windshield opening. I played with the spacing until deciding that setting the pivots on 16-inch centers would sufficiently cover the windshield. Two of the pivots fit nicely into a channel cut from a piece of 1-inch square tubing. The third pivot required flattening a piece of channel into a flange attached to the top edge of the channel. The three pivots line up fairly well, spaced 16 inches apart on the channel. I'll cut some reliefs in the back of the channel to allow it to bend to match the windshield curve.
My son convinced me to give up on using the rolled edge to match up to the windshield frame, so it came off. Also, I had cut about 1/4 inch too much from the sides of the roof skin, leaving a 1/8 inch gap on each side. My son also shot down my idea of using some welding rod to fill in the gap. He convinced me to weld one cut edge back on and re-trim. A few hundred tack welds later, the edge was back on, re-trimmed, and fitting much better with the adjustment bolts holding the skin in place.