Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Supercharged03's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Supercharged03's profile Entries: 117
Views: 22424
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (24): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24

06-05-2012 09:10 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I figured I should complete the junction between the Malibu roof and the S10door opening before enclosing the area with the outer panel and windshield frame. First, I thought I should finish the top of the S10 door where the Malibu window frame attaches to the door. The first photo shows the gap at the top of the S10 door. I made a pattern out of cardboard, cut a piece of 18 gauge cold-rolled steel to match, and bent it using a piece of 1/4" x 1" flat bar. I left enough on the outside of the door to cover the relief on the S10 door intended for the original window molding. I also matched the piece to the inside edge of the door panel.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #27]

05-21-2012 08:28 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
After fitting the windshield into the mounted frame, I found that the edge of the glass would be an inch from the edge of the existing Malibu door frame. I don't think this would look right without the rubber gasket as I plan to mount this glass only with urethane. I also need to fashion a piece to fill the space at the top of the A pillar between the top of the original Malibu rear window and the new windshield frame. A while back, I purchased a small English wheel, so I decided to make a first attempt at using it.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #26]

05-11-2012 07:59 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Now the windshield frame is finally tacked in place. It's close to the marks I had before working on the defrost vents, so I am happy I did not distort the frame. I still looks square (the photo was taken slightly off the vehicle center line), so I am ready to start on attaching the roof from the 58 Chevy.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #25]

05-11-2012 07:57 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Here's a photo of the cuts made into the S10 cowl. The vent tubes fit through the S10 cowl into the cab beneath the dash (or where the dash will be).


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #24]

05-11-2012 07:53 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
It's been a while since I've posted an update. I've been working on defrost vents to go in before I fix the windshield frame in place. Here's some photos of the vents attached to the windshield frame. I bent some 1 1/4 inch tubing to a series of 90 degree angles and cut the bent pieces to fit. The vents housings are fabricated from the internal braces I removed from the 2001 Malibu door frames. I cut them to the desired lengths and welded some 18 gauge pieces to the ends of each vent housing.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #23]

Pages (24): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.