Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Supercharged03's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Supercharged03's profile Entries: 110
Views: 21087
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (22): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22

01-26-2012 08:16 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Another Craigslist.com find was a pair of 40 Chevrolet headlight buckets. I like these because they mimic the Pierce-Arrow characteristic of having the headlights molded into the fenders. I had to fill in the lower portion of each bucket to get them to match the asymmetrical curve of the Ford front fenders.

No, I am not making a Grave Digger replica.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #10]

01-26-2012 08:07 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
The rear fenders are hung on the sides so that the top of each Ford fender parallels the top of each S10 fender. The angle of the slant on the rear Ford fender is duplicated, as best I can judge, on the front Ford fenders. While the rear Ford fenders will have all of the rusted-out areas removing when they are trimmed to fit, the front fenders have required a good deal of patching. Luckily, I have been able to reserve enough of the compound curves in the Ford fenders to allow me to bend the patches by hand and with a hammer and dolly.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

01-26-2012 07:56 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Another Craigslist.com search yielded a set of fenders from a late 40s Ford F100. All of the body parts purchased to date, except one bed side, have been found on Craigslist.com. It's a great way to find local parts. Anyhow, the rear fenders were listed for $100 for the pair. The front fenders were in worse condition and the seller threw them in for nothing. I cut a 12 inch cross-section from each Ford rear fender to make them match the length of the S10 fenders. I also cut a lengthwise section, varying from 2 to 10 inches, to match the angle of the S10 fenders between the back of the cab and the rear panel.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

01-25-2012 08:36 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I used a couple of taillight filler blanks to close the taillight openings in what is now the front of the S10 and used pieces from a third bed side to create the grill shell. Four matching pieces of 1/8 inch plate were used to mate the edges of the grill shell to the edges of each bed side.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

01-25-2012 08:29 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I needed to make the bed (hood) sides flow more evenly from the stock-width cab (60 inches) to the narrowed grill area (32 inches), so I cut vertical reliefs in each bed side between the door edge and the now-closed wheel well and curved the door edge down. The total movement of the door edge varied between 2 and 4 inches, depending on the point along the door edge at which the measurement was taken. The total displacement of the bed side from its original (flat) position was about 14 degrees.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

Pages (22): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22