Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Supercharged03's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Supercharged03's profile Entries: 117
Views: 22446
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (24): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

02-28-2012 08:11 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Finally finished working out the shape of the windshield frame with the shrinker/stretcher tonight. I've wrapped the windshield in heavy paper to keep it from getting scratched during the frame assembly. Thanks to JMSTOY's (Zak's) tutorial on cutting glass with a roto bit and the effect of the heat generated by the tool, I now know not to attempt to weld the frame while it's supported by the glass.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #17]

02-23-2012 02:53 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I picked up this 58 Chevy Delray roof off of Craigslist for $100. It will be just barely wide enough, but I guess it's better to use a roof someone has already removed than to butcher an old car that has a roof intact. I wasn't searching for this model, but I think I'll use the back of the roof as the front of the S10 roof. The downward curve will work well with the curve of the Malibu door edge. Maybe I'll leave it with a little overhang over the windshield as a "fixed" visor.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #16]

02-22-2012 08:14 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I've been fabricating a frame for the 55 Chevy windshield using 14 feet of 18 ga sheet metal bent to 90 degrees and a hand-operated shrinker/stretcher. I have discovered why the hand-operated versions are so much cheaper than the foot-operated ones - you have to do reps like a body builder to get anything done with the hand-operated version. This old fart has to go in and rest after about an hour of mashing on the thing. Anyhow, I've got six of the eight required pieces complete. Once the blister in my palm heals I'll have a go at the remaining two pieces.

The photo of the pieces laying flat does not do justice to the fit of the pieces in 3 dimensions, but they won't hang on the glass by themselves.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

02-06-2012 09:25 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Marrying the Malibu passenger rear window frame to the driver's side S10 door went much faster (3 days). Now I have both frames mounted and have test-fit the glass with the weatherstripping and the power window motors. Both windows function properly with no scrapes or snags, although they don't go down as far as I'd like. Oh well. I have hung the doors back on the cab and checked the alignment of the tops. Luckily, they're dead-on level. Now I can start fitting the Malibu roof/door frames and fabricating the windshield frame.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #14]

02-06-2012 09:21 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I reworked the fit of the Malibu driver's side rear window frame to the S10 passenger side door. This was the third time I've adjusted this, so the inside panel of the S10 door is fairly chewed up. I spent 3 weeks getting this door right.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

Pages (24): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24