Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Supercharged03's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Supercharged03's profile Entries: 110
Views: 21100
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (22): 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

06-22-2014 07:52 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Finished the passenger side A-pillar today. Here's the piece I fabricated next to the cardboard pattern I made to start. Welded the piece in, merging the windshield frame to the door jamb. I am really pleased with the welding improvement after fixing the mig gun. I have been dreading all of these welds unnecessarily. Hundreds of tacks executed today with very few burn-throughs, almost all with good penetration. I am stoked!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #100]

06-21-2014 09:52 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Finished nibbling on the three pieces I need to put together to finish the A-pillar. Seven hours of trimming and fitting, fitting and trimming. Finally have the pieces tacked together. All the time I worked on this, I thought about the giant presses GM has to mash pieces like this out of flat sheet metal every second. And GM's fit better, too.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #99]

06-15-2014 08:50 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
The door skin from the extra Malibu door has a nice curve to the sheet metal that works well for the pieces I need to finish the bottom of the A pillar.

I used the cardboard pattern to cut a couple of pieces from the door skin. A while back I made some small anvils from some pipe elbows. I used one to roll the edge in the side piece; the edge will meet match to the windshield frame. I also used a dolly to form a 90 degree edge that will form the gap with the door edge. I also used the English wheel to crease the portion of the piece that will cover the gap between the windshield frame and the fender.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #98]

06-09-2014 09:04 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Started working on the intersection of the A-pillar, the fender and the door with some Cheerios cardboard and blue tape.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #97]

06-01-2014 08:49 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Capped the open ends of the roll at the top of the firewall. Finished the curved ends for the cowl cover. I am really pleased with the result. I guess a year invested trying to get this right was time well spent.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #96]

Pages (22): 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22