The fender attachment to the cab was retained from the original front fender and welded to the bed side, but it's been hanging since then. I added a brace fabricated from one of the interior door frames from the Malibu doors. I'll need to brace the fender attachment in a couple of more places.
I have decided that adding a small piece to the edge of the fender will not work. The transition between the leading edge of the door and the trailing edge of the original fender is indented compared to the new transition to the refitted bed side. The small piece will leave the indention in place.
I have decided to use a piece of the bed side I purchased for the grill shell to splice into the fender and the door. I trimmed a bit of the piece to fit around the A-pillar and flattened the top edge with the English wheel.
Started working on the last piece for the passenger side A-pillar - the fender junction. The piece needs to parallel the windshield frame and curve from horizontal to near vertical. Using a cardboard pattern, I cut a piece of 18-gauge to shape and rolled the windshield edge with the pipe elbow dolly and a piece of 1/8 inch bar steel. Now, working on the horizontal-to-vertical transition with the elbow dolly and a hammer.
Finished the passenger side A-pillar today. Here's the piece I fabricated next to the cardboard pattern I made to start. Welded the piece in, merging the windshield frame to the door jamb. I am really pleased with the welding improvement after fixing the mig gun. I have been dreading all of these welds unnecessarily. Hundreds of tacks executed today with very few burn-throughs, almost all with good penetration. I am stoked!
Finished nibbling on the three pieces I need to put together to finish the A-pillar. Seven hours of trimming and fitting, fitting and trimming. Finally have the pieces tacked together. All the time I worked on this, I thought about the giant presses GM has to mash pieces like this out of flat sheet metal every second. And GM's fit better, too.