Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Supercharged03's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Supercharged03's profile Entries: 90
Views: 18395
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (18): 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

12-15-2013 07:28 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I have given up the idea of using a bead roller to emboss a decorative image into the firewall. Instead, I'll use the front wall from the S10 bed which is embossed with seven rectangular shapes. I cut the top rail from the wall and will use the loose piece to reinforce the edge of the wall that I cut from the floor. The loose piece needs to bend slightly, arching about 3/4 inch in the center, to match the arch of the cowl cover, so I made a relief cut.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #70]

10-13-2013 08:46 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Cut a piece of 18 gauge for the firewall and bent the bottom to make the turn into the floor. I'll have to raise the piece about six inches to get it right. Took some time this weekend to sketch some patterns for beads in the flat panel for decoration and stiffness. Thought some Art Deco-style lines might fit with the time period I'm trying to mimic. Settled on one pattern and started drawing to scale.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #69]

09-22-2013 09:00 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Finally, the cowl cover is done.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #68]

09-15-2013 09:20 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I used some cardboard to make patterns for the openings in the cowl for the windshield wiper pivots. Once I had them fitting well, I taped them in place beneath the cowl and marked their position. I cut the openings in the cowl and transferred the pattern shapes onto some 20 gauge sheet metal I'd bent with my son's brake.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #67]

09-02-2013 08:50 PM S10 fabrication (cont'd)
I have been considering how to support the edge of the cowl cover beneath the windshield for several months. Yesterday, inspiration grabbed me as I pilfered the scrap pile: the A-pillar from the 2001 Malibu has the perfect shape for brackets. I cut seven one-inch pieces from the A-pillar and made some mounting plates from some 18-gauge scrap. I cut vertical slots in the mounting brackets, welded the plates to the brackets and screwed them into the firewall. The slots allow adjustment to hold the cowl cover against the bottom of the windshield frame loosely enough to allow me to slide it into place, making it removable.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #66]

Pages (18): 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18