I temporarily set the windshield into the frame and added some braces to push the top out slightly before starting on the top inner windshield flange. It will span the interior ceiling between the two inner A pillar panels and attach to the inner edge of the windshield frame. I did not want to take the hour round trip to my son's shop to use his sheet metal brake, so it used a hammer and a piece of angle iron to put a 90 degree bend in a piece of 20 gauge (I neglected to take a picture until after I had arched the piece). The first attempt to arch the flange with the stretcher was too high, so I took some out with the shrinker. I also added a slight bend to the leading edge where the flange will meet the windshield frame. I still have a bit of trimming to do.
I completed the inner portion of the driver's side A pillar today. I duplicated the passenger side by removing the unnecessary Malibu sheet metal, rolling the patch through the English wheel, hammering the flanges with hammer and dolly and stretching the windshield flange slightly.
Now, I can finally attach the exterior portion of the A pillar that I started shaping back in May. This piece fills the gaps between the exterior 2001 Malibu door frame and the windshield frame. I got it close to fitting with the English wheel and some careful trimming, then rolled the leading edge to meet the windshield frame with a hammer and dolly. I am really pleased with my first attempt to use the English wheel. Thanks to everyone who ever posts 'how to' videos on Hotrodders and You Tube!
Moving back to the passenger side A pillar, I thought I should work on the interior portion of the pillar first. The piece was pretty easy to shape as it did not need much of a compound curve. It attaches the 2001 Malibu interior to the inside edge of the windshield frame.