I needed to make two bucks for the inner headlight case because of the design but I have made it so the two parts inter lock when fit into the metal case (they will also be bonded in when I have decide on the final colour). Since a lot of cars using projector lights do not use a reflective inner case I decided to play around with different colours of styrene sheet. After forming a couple of sets I decided to try out the silver grey since I think this would go well with a white car which is the favour of the month at the moment.
Now I know I can make the lens I needed to make the headlight housing. The housing was made of 1.6mm sheet steel. I also wanted to include the side light inside the headlight housing so I turned down some aluminium bar to mount the LED side light. The next job is to finish of the inside of the housing by making a buck and vacuum form some styrene to form a reflective inner cover.
The buck is made of MDF with a wood filler top coat to give a smooth finish (aluminium epoxy resin would have been better). I used 2mm thick acrylic sheet heated to about 185 degrees for 50 seconds before applying the vacuum and then raising the buck into the heated acrylic sheet. Finish is very good just a couple of imperfections which will be sorted out before the final lenses are made which will be 3mm thick.
I needed to mount the headlights in position before I could have a go at making the lens covers so I made a bracket out of sheet which would hold both lights but would also bolt in and out for quick removal.
I decided to work on the front spoiler/front wing edge so I could then build and locate the head light cluster, since I have had no luck with choosing a head lights from any of the car manufactures. I needed to brace the grill surrounded so I bolt a piece of angle to the roll bar brackets and braced to the grill surround to the angle. This allowed me to move the jig cross member to support the lower spoiler wirer.