With both the front and rear axles finished I started on the jig. When the jig was finished I levelled and bolted the jig to the floor. I then positioned the front, rear axles and engine/box onto the jig
The next job is to de-cage the rear axle so it can be integrated into the chassis.
Because the car will be lighter than the Jaguar I intend to replace all the suspension units. After a few emails Gaz shocks came up best with coil overs/spring ratings to approximately match the weight of a cobra copy. I also changed various bushes, seals, shafts and also the discs.
The project is to build a car from scratch, a one off.
• Engine: SBC
• Gearbox: GM 400
• Front axle S3 Jaguar
• Rear axle XJS (in-board discs with LSD)
The next decision is to select the type of chassis for a car. I looked at three chassis, ladder, space frame and backbone. Decided upon a backbone chassis but would include a steel floor and doors with side impact protection.
So now I can start the project with a trip to the Jaguar scrap yard for the front and rear axles. After money exchanged and a nice delivery from TNT I am the proud owner of two old Jaguar axles plus a steering column. The first job was to sort out the front axle.