Well I read a lot on DIY powder Coating ovens...but I went a different route. Hummm!
A large freezer would work, old enough that it had the metal inside instead of the plastic and, If you decide to do this it better be an old one, cause the plastic will melt when you get the Temp to 400 degrees.
Don't forget when you find the right one...you will know...cause it weights a freaking ton and, that is not a joke they are really heavy!
So I found this one and, it was right for the job.
Doesn't matter of the condition of it, as I'm going to rip it a part anyways.
I had surgery on my shoulder so, some work will take time as all have to ask my son for some help when I need it.
Why the old freezer? Simple it's made out of solid metal and, not the thin stuff!! It also has the good insulation. The stuff that itches like a ***** when you touch it and, it gets on you.
Well started to order the parts all need to make the Freezer into an oven...but all get into that later.
So doing a little work on the oven as you noticed it has the itchy pink insulation, what you didn't see was the plastic boarder that went all away around the freezer.
I removed it and, the thin piece of of wood, I think it was Mylar. Any ways I removed it and, exposed the pick insulation.
I will leave the pink insulation there...but I will remove the metal insert (tube). I'm sorry i don't have picture of the insert, as for some reason the pic's with all the tar didn't turn out.
I also removed the motor and, cut the lines. Be care full when you cut the lines to remove the freon.
Were safety glasses and, cover the tube to be cut with a rag....and don't do this with out a mask!!!
What I could tell you is that the tube is covered in tar...Yes! Tar all over the place and, it covers the coils that were full of freon. So having the freezer up on it's end, made it easier to drained.
Now after removing the coils and, scraping off the tar this is what the insert looks like after I cleaned it with Kerosene.
You can see where all the coils and clips that held the coils in place. ...it was a job and a half...but us DIY'er just do it.
More fun to build and save money I think. Well that's me.
I decide to strip off some of the paint on the door. That took some time, I had a belt sander to help me ..but only has 120 grit and 3 pieces to use. Well that went fast...not the door the sand paper!
So I had to use another sander to finish the job...and at least I have 60 grit which help a great deal more.
So this is what it looked like and what it looks like now.
I'm not worried about the pits in the door as it's an oven and it doesn't really matter of the looks of it.
Just so long as it works...but I bought some rust remover and this stuff is supposed to protect it and be able to paint it over.
I will see that when I do it next.
I did replace the insect back into the freezer but after removing the coils it was easier to get it back in.
I had to attach some metal stud pieces to the insert to bring it flush to the top of the freezers outer rail edge.
The metal studs will be what I use, to seal up the tube to the outer edge of the freezer and I will instal metal carriage bolts to hold it from shifting.
So when I put it up on end the insert will not fall to the bottom of the freezer.
On to the next part, so now I mounted the metal stud rails to the outer and, inner part of the freezer with self tapping screws.
The next step will be attaching the oven door to the freezer door so I can look in or take temperature reading with the Non-Contact IR Laser Infrared Digital Thermometer Temp Gun.
More to come.
Got a little bit done today, I focused on the repairing of the door for the oven.
It was pretty rusty, so I used some Tremclad Rust Reformer to use as a primer before I paint it with chalkboard paint.
I want to be able to write on it for info and, add some Graphics to it for fun.
Here's a picture of the door before and after.
More to come.