Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 59RAMBLERSUPERWAGON's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 59RAMBLERSUPERWAGON's profile Entries: 17
Views: 1708
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 4

10-11-2012 10:39 PM from car to scooter...
well today I decided shift gears I started to attack a scooter that was given to me quite some time ago for my wife didn't run at all and so I had to tear into it. ode to joy the smell of varnish in the air tearing down a Chinese made scooter getting into the guts of it in finding out that yep it's been neglected and sitting outside for years but the motor turns over but everything else electrical seems to be in good working order it just needs a little bit of TLC to carburetor part new spark plugs check the connections replace brake lever, the little things. tomorrow I'll clean the carburetor in replace the spark plug in trying to put some semblance of crack filler on the intake manifold which is rubber and cracked I don't know if it's all the way through but probably will RTV will do for now I just really want to get it started make sure once before I bother doing anything else to it. It's a not so common Chinese scooter and I run into some of the same problems and I'm running into with my vintage Rambler scarce parts hard to find. luckily I have redneck abilities and I'm sure I can make it go 1 way or another parts or not. at least I know the motors not seized, it does crank over in all the electrical seems to be in order.for me I've been given many different types of vehicles over the years and the most fun is resurrecting them to bring them back to life and making them on once again.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #12]

10-10-2012 02:53 AM little nusiances
today I worked on small issues like the door hinges, window regulators ,and other things like door latches lots of lubricating and bending parts to make them fit. nothing special just spending sometime doing the little things that have to be done. lots of little things a little bit at a time and it'll all get done

[Entry #11]

10-08-2012 05:45 PM stripped Driver seat bottom
Since my drivers seat bottom is completely devoid of padding and disgusting, I removed it and stripped it bare. Now working on exactly what I'm doing next. I started painting it but forgot to take a picture of that. I only found one broken connector spring, but I managed to fix it.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #10]

10-08-2012 05:43 PM .

[Entry #9]

10-04-2012 10:56 PM Gas Filler HEADACHE!!!
So Rambler in their infinate wisdom (yes I know they did not mean for the cars to last this long) mad their entire gas filler and vent tubes out of rubber with just a plate that screws over the mouth to hold the gas cap. Well and good for inexpensive production and a one shot install on the assembly line. Not so good when the car is over 50 years old and it cracks, splits, and spills fuel everywhere.

There are two answers to this problem. #1 purchase a 58-59
Amb, Rebel, Rambler Fuel Filler Hose - excellent molded reproduction - NOTE: must re-use vent hose on '59's part #941 4101C $98.00 from americanpartsdepot.com

Which is fine if your vent hose is not as rotten as the filler tube (fat chance...)

Or #2 you can do what I am about to do. I am going to fabricate a filler neck with a vent tube, add two silicone 45 degree elbows and a section of 2 1/4" exhaust tubing.

Thanks to all the tuner cars out there, there are a ton of various elbows, straights, piping, etc made of silicone and their dirt cheap on ebay. the 2.25" X 2.25" 45 elbows cost $11.00 each shipped! the length of exhaust tubing from the muffler shop should be under $10.00, and I will fabricate the filler neck from a peice of plate steel, a peice of muffler tubing with a flared end, and a smaller peice of steel tubing for the vent.

when all is said and done, I should be in it less that $50 and it will be a life long fix. the silicone tubing virtualy lasts for ever!

So attached are a couple photos of the carnage of removing the fuel filler tube from the car and photo of the intended purchase part from ebay.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 4