Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: artist xtraordinair's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View artist xtraordinair's profile Entries: 13
Views: 462
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

10-09-2012 10:03 AM AZTEC HOOD MURAL
Self promotion piece.

I have this hanging in my workshop/studio. My studio is part gallery of previous work for promotion,hanging on the walls for decoration. It's a nice way for my guests to see up close and in real time what the executed artwork looks like.
I had gotten this hood with the intention of doing a showcase work. It shows the Aztec Jaguar warrior class holding a shield decorated with feathers and a weapon, wood with obsidian chipped blades standing in front of the Lunar calendar. Incorprating the lunar calendar with the Aztec calendar.
Their god of war is portrayed as a humming bird- not a typical 'mascot' for warfare ,but it's their religion. the mounds of skulls behind the full moon represent the culture of death that permeated their society- human sacrifice and cannabalism.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

10-09-2012 09:50 AM RAT ROD
This was brought to me with a request to take off the former paint job on the rear and airbrush the famous,"Rat Fink" by Big Daddy Roth - RIP

I was also asked to paint flames coming from the front and flow the the back.
Fun car to do . Didn't take long to execute- a few days and the owner was extremely happy with the finished work.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

10-09-2012 09:45 AM AVP
I did the artworkon this restored Honda for a man who had started restoring it, but due to a car accident, was laid up in hospital for a year recovering from his near death injuries.
I 'donated' my time to help along with the builder's idea of finishing up where hsi friend had left off, taking it further than what he could have done himself.

the base color is gun grey HOK. I'm airbrushing highlights and blacks on the medium base to 'push' and 'pull' the details in the artwork.

Later, at the GR Autorama, it took home a trophy. I'm not sure for which entry.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

10-09-2012 09:39 AM Red Mustang 2 Hood
I airbrushed the sides of the car with flames comming off of the front quater panel. I was also asked to paint a hood design. Three horses of fire running towards the viewer, to blend and corodinate with the side artwork. Here are several progression shots of the work as it gets developed.
The first layer was sketched out freehand with HOK yellow.
Several HOK Kandy's were used to 'push' the color back and re high light the flames, working out details as the painting evolves:

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

10-09-2012 09:33 AM Red Mustang
Progression shots of Clarence's Mustang. I had airbrushed his car years before and it had done well at various shows, but the body work that was done on it wasn't done properly. Both Clearence and I had troubles with the shop that had worked on his car.

Two years ago Clarence brought his Mustang to a local shop (in GR) , one I suggested and had worked with before. I trusted their work and the people who ran it. Here are the progress shots of the side flame job:

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3