Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: cheifwaylocahones's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View cheifwaylocahones's profile Entries: 4
Views: 343
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

08-15-2013 06:34 AM Updates To Date
Decided to upgrade the front brake system to a more efficient Disc brake setup. Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC) Offers a complete upgrade kit for the early GM F-Body cars. The kit comes complete with everything needed to upgrade including 4 piston calipers, bearings, braided lines, spindles, master cylinder, booster, and adjustable proportioning valve for rear brakes. Easy to follow Instructions and goes together with no issues. Also the addition of Edelbrock Aluminum heads now installed on engine.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

03-09-2013 03:25 PM My '68 Firebird...
A few more pics, these are kind of out of order as far as dates taken.
Originally was going to run this Gear-drive setup bought on E bay, though I didn't like the clearance specs. after the advise offered from seller were not very re-assuring I ditched the idea and went with Comp Cam Billet dbl. roller instead. The interior was gutted, Personally I think the sound deadner from major mfg. (won't list name 'though sure you know whom I reefer) is ridiculously way over priced. I found this stuff at Lowe's ("U-Seal Band" It is a instant waterproof tape, for roofs, and ducts) that's basically the same stuff as the expensive name brand stuff. It rolls on with a hard roller, sticks good and this was about a 1/3 of price those other guys are charging! Finished floorboard, roof, inside door panels, under dash with this stuff before installing interior... should greatly reduce road noise.... more to follow. B.T.W. These 4x heads are not going to be used after finding the cc's at 114 orig. came from a 455ci and would bring my compression to nill. Going with a set of Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc's

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

03-09-2013 03:00 PM My '68 Firebird...
Here's where I'm at today..
The car my not look it (not one of the five previous have got to the paint stage) although, structurally, it is in great shape!
Currently I've completed assy. of the 400ci pancho short block. forged TRW 9.5:1, Comp Cam HYDR. grind 51-208-4 (275DEH) INT.DUR@50* 219 EXH.@50*228 INT.LIFT.462 EXH.LIFT.499 Stock rotating assy. w/add.ARP Mains and Rod bolts, Powerforce dampner, Performer RPM, 750 dbl.pmp. MSD ReadytoRun, 6AL ign. etc. Waiting on Kauffman Heads to complete.
Trans. TH400 Straightcut Planets, Rollerised throuout, 6 Alto Red in both Forward and Directs, 4-BorgWarner Hi Energy Int. All Kolene steel throughout. Also applied Glyptal Coating internal case (same throughout engine block and heads) pics. incl. More to follow....

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

03-09-2013 02:10 PM My '68 Firebird...
Getting a late start on documenting this project (at least in a somewhat organized way) as I have only learned about this site and it's neat ability to document a project today.
I have owned several '68 Firebirds throughout the years, (5 to be exact) My love for the 1st generation 'bird began early in 1980, while I was a Juniour in high school. I considered myself a "Chevy" man at this early age, as my family owned nothing but Chevy's since I could remember. So with tradition I followed and my first car I purchased a 1972 Chevelle Malibu from a little old lady. I replaced the tired 350ci with a mildly cam-ed 327ci from a buddy who wrecked the '67 elcamino it resided in.
I loved that car, for the next year adding as many ammonites a 17yr old kid with a busboy's salary could afford, Anyways, this is about my love for Firebirds right? Riiiight.
Long story shorter.... The Firebird 'thang had always been with me even before the Chevelle. One constant reminder was the "April Gold" '68 Firebird parked in the driveway of the corner house on my block which I had to pass each day on my way home. One thing I noticed about this car was that it hadn't moved from it's location in over a year.
Again, long story shorter... One long summer day myself and a few buddies had decided it was too nice of day to be spent in school, it would be much more productive spent drinking and the ussual mayhem which follows this chaotic thought process... (and I do mEAN Chaotic!) Facts from memory at this time seem to become a bit blurred at this point, although that particular day I became a absolute firm beleiver that booze and driving Do Not Mix. I won't go into the details except to say my Chevelle was destroyed, Thank the lord to this day no one else was hurt, just my pride, my joy, my car was gone.
Time has a way of forgiving life's mistakes we encounter, case in point, although when you now are walking from point A to B you don't forget. So, now as I'm with more time to notice this Firebird parked on my street corner as I'm now (Walking by each day) my curiosity gets the best of me and I decided to inquire if it might be for sale. The owner was this groovy little hippie chick that had purchased the car brand new in 1968. She had loved the car although had parked it their over a year ago since the ol' 350ci had spun a rod bearing and since she had purchased a new car since then, decided the repair bill to fix the car exceeded her failling love for the car. "BING" Not only was she willing to part with the bird, for the total amount of $200.00 she would gladly hand me the keys, and title!!!
And so begins my true love for the first gen. firebirds. As the years went by I would own several as mentioned earlier, It would seem I would always come across these cars as if they were destined to be mine. Two of the earlier cars were givin to me as parts cars, the other three I would purchase for next to nothing such as my first.
This car here, bird number 5, I have owned the longest. since 1999. It has been a on/off project since that time. After first acquiring this Firebird I had decided, "It would be the one" to finally go all the way with in a full restoration.
It was off to a great start back in 2000 with a frame replacement at which time receiving a fair share of replacement up grades to bring the car to specs. such as replacement of all front end bushings, tierods, springs front and rear, body bushings, brakes, etc. included are a few pics of the car during that time.
The project came to a halt with job changes and a relocation. and the car sat until as of this year the itch is back and stronger than ever to complete the car.
I will be adding entries along with pics. as the car advances with each stage. I am currently completing the engine and trans. upgrades, and will add pics. soon.
Funny thing about the love of cars, is it may take a back seat to lifes endevors, It only grows fonder as the years progress... I started this project as a young man of 17 years old.... I'm 49 today, and still feel the passion and love for this these first generation Pontiac Firebirds as I had so many years ago!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]