I was right for once.
After not hearing from the flex plate folks this week,
I decided I must be wrong, took them both to the machinist to be match balanced.
I tried to explain, but he didn't think it was a problem, said it'd be done in a hour or so.
So I figure I'm wrong, and when he called that it was done with out too much work,
I knew it.
When I get there he showed me how he lined up the weights and the holes for the crank
lined up. I had him get some 7/16 bolts and then line them up. He fussed with two of them and got them in, but the out side diameter didn't line up. I said I've got pics on my computer
that show they don't line up. First he tried matching a stock flex plate, but it was 157 tooth not 164.
I couldn't see it lining up, but I realized the counter weight had to be in the same place.
That he was going by the counter weight placement, and so should the factory.
Thats how I had imagined these were engineered, but who am I? Just a mutt.
He then got a stock ford crank and we lined them up and he agreed with me. Said I under stand what your saying now, this can't be balanced it's not clocked.
So he put a call into Brad at Northwest, who's been great through out this, I'll be getting
another flex plate. If these guys stay in business that is, if they had the Chinese make a thousand wrong flex plates- they may not.
In the pictures the balance weight has to be in the vicinity, of the counter weight on the crank- like #1 not number two. Even stock motors are that way, learned sumpn new.
Started her up last PM, shook like a pup pooping peach pits.
Shut it right down, tried again same same. Disgusted.
Thought I was going cruising in my new bucket seat and shifting my new shifter.
Decided I had a motor cycle that needed a good long ride, this morning.
Not even, car is parked to close to the fence post, can't get out.
Started out to just do all the easy stuff on top, ended up with the flex plate out.
Maybe tomorrow I'll get a cruise in.
woke up at 5.30 and headed out. Not for work-for coffee.
Started about 8.30 finished 5.30pm. I got a bad foot/back neck/ bad attitude.
But the ratchet shifter is in, the throttle cable has been up graded. Trany cover is patched,
and installed. But I forgot to install stock fly weights in the governor/ tomorrow!
Got the stainless headers, UPS guy must have have a bad day.
They're supposed to be done by 7 PM, 8.30 PM.
Tried my latest new toy, rectal camera. Can't see poop.
Good pic of carbon on the top of the piston, not enough light to see cylinder walls.
Oh well I can read the news paper on the floor, from the recliner, now.
Rocklers wood working tools has them on sale $99.
Not sure if I'll tackle the headers right now, give em a try n see.
Passenger side should fit- drivers side maybe not- got the steering
arm to deal with.
I can't believe how cheap stainless headers are these days.
And the welding/finish/fit are OK. Not show- just OK.
They smell of Soy sauce though.
Going to give the radiator system a test tomorrow/cold.
A fan of making tools
not a fan of installing the fan and pulley with 2 inches clearance.
If my hands were on backwards, it'd be easier.
took a 12 point socket and a long stick of rod to the welder.
slick as snot, and it dawned on me 90% of my home mades
are 1/2 inch.
All buckeled up on the bottom, now that every thing is in place,
I'm doubting the new headers will fit even with hammer mods.
Put a seat in tomorrow to find placement of the shifter.
Got looking at my time slips, 3 of 5 runs were 92 mph.
The car + me, 3300 lbs =202 HP to the street.
Thats amazing for a first hot rod engine build.
And at 93 mph another 10 hp.
At 95 226 HP. small block ford/autolite carb./ 252/257 cam.
crossing the line at 4,000rpm.
Wonder what the 303 cam and high rise manifold + lower gear, will do.
Have to wait till next year.