So much for the bearing splitter.
After much sweat and profanity, I called around,
of three frame and axel shops, only one would tackle the 57 axel.
Shame on me, i got lazy, should have done it my self.
After reading up, I'm not going to be pounding on this axel with a sledge
to crack the bearing. I'd cut it with a grinder.
Turns out thats what the (experts ) do.
So I paid $50 extra for Napa to put a Chinese bearing in one of their blue boxes.
And a hundred to get it installed, UFDA! And the car sat on blocks for three days
what a knuckle head.
Did get a new fuel gauge installed, works great with the key on.
When the car runs, it goes up and down with the tac.-- Think I need a separate ground.
Got 1 1/2 vent window seals installed, read up on that too.
Not much help, most of the stuff is for crank vents. Did use some RTV
and plastic to plug a hole at the top-want to get it car wash ready.
Found some one had stuck a button in beside the tab that holds the vent lock shut, on the drivers side.
Reminded me of an old van I had, Had a nickel in there to keep the rain out.
If i finish digging the petrified rubber out of the channel, and finish the vent seal,
may get to the track for a testntune. Check out the new cam and 3:55 gears.
Going to try an race this weekend.
Bearings before and after--- there's a partial nylon seal on the new bearing, not sure what that does.
yes all the brake parts are new as are the wheel bearings.
But the one on the short axel is on backwards.
I've got a bearing splitter some where, I've never used
will have to dig that out. And a bearing press, which i haven't used for axel bearings yet.
But first the speedo gear swap.
with 4:11's and 26 inch tires I was .3 short of a mile
now with 3:55's and 29 inch tires I'm .3 over a mile marker.
Got a 19 tooth driven gear installed and a 21 tooth gear to install.
I was guessing driving with traffic about 65 mph
reading 80 mph--- three teeth supposedly 15 mph.
3:55's dropped it down to about 2400 rpm on the highway, cam comes on at 2000.
Good enough, the pipes aren't roaring now.
Old punkn out new punkn in.
In stead of putting the axels in, thought I'd square up the rear end.
I thought it was put in without drilling new holes in the pads.
But I plumb bobbed the axel on both sides and it's right on.
At least square with the frame rails. I do get the slightest wonder,
since the back is square, it's time for front end alignment.
Get the shop to do that, thats not something I need to learn.
Tomorrow I'll be on the freeway checking RPM and the speedo.
Being a native, when the weather hits 80, I slow down.
When it gets to 90, I hibernate. It was 92 at 2pm when i quit.
How can people live in Ariz. or Texas?
HA HA just remembering the morning I pulled the motor
it was 21 degrees. Now it's 96*.
Yesterday got in a little bondo and paint.
Was going to swap out the rear gears today.
Wanted to hit the drag strip with this new cam and the 4:11's
but looks like thunderstorms for wednesday.
Should have started earlier. Got the axles out.
First one out with the brake drum on backwards.
Had to make the super fancy axel puller for the other.
Drill two holes, weld one 3/8 bolt.
Got good news, new bearings and all drum parts, was wondering
if the rear end was cobbled together like the rest.
After reading up on reinstalling these hood springs, and getting mine on.
I have to say I doubt anyone would wrap a chain around their
fist and stretch these springs 4 inches. Even bolted to the floor.
I did notice the wimpy springs on my buddies 49 Ford, but thought
they weren't original.
The stack of washers didn't stretch it out far enough.
Made a tool, pipe and washers, worked fine.
It does cause a racket when the hood is lowered.
Gave the front and rear windows the hose test.
Believe it or don't I finally got things sealed up
The springs had to go from 11 1/2 to 15 1/2 inches.