Spent all morning working on this wiring mess.
Seems these fancy gauges need a ground point all their own.
Fussy little things.
Eliminated the shift light, grounded the tac and trany temp gauge separate.
Temp gauge still acts up some, tonight put it on it's own power source with inline fuse.
The trany runs between 180 - 200* depending on what I'm doing, drops fairly quick.
Going after taller tires tomorrow, tac runs 2800 at 60mph
somewhere around 3 grand at 70 ish.
With those 4-11 gears my speedo is whack-o.
But at 3000rpm plenty of poop left.
Every thing seems to be settling down, hopefully get to the drag strip next wednesday for
Glad I got a portable steering wheel.
I've spent the last 317 miles puzzled about this car idle, plug color, lifter noise.
Lifter noise went away with some royal purple motor oil.
Plugs were off from each other with no rhyme or reason.
Idle was all over the place. There was a small fuel leak coming from the carb.
carbon-tooter told me it was probably a vent in the booster clogged up.
It wasn't, every thing came down to the knuckle head that mocked this engine up.
Thought I could get it in without cutting/building a trany tunnel.
So the motor was low at the back. The way this carbs built there's a leveling trough
from front to rear fuel bowls. The rear bowl would over fill above the vent
to idle discharge. So fuel was syphoning/ dripping in one secondary, (on a split dual plane manifold) making that set of 4 cylinders idle rich and run rich. Thus the hit and miss plug color.
Luckily these autolite carbs have a lot of free info on them. FOMOCO service training course, Ford autolite, motor-craft service and a ford service training for passenger cars.
I spent the last couple days reading and messing with it.
What cured it was jacking the trany up another inch, now that idle passage vent stays above the rear fuel bowl level. Can't syphon.
Now the thing fires right off even when hot, idles smooth as butter. Make a few passes up and down the freeway tomorrow.
The cool thing about dual exhaust, you can hear every exhaust note, they're perfect on both sides.
I'm pretty sure the timing's good so I can set the carb with a vacuum gauge.
Even took some time and bled the front brakes, also got both head light rings on.
Don't think I'll weld them, like the look of stainless.
Funny how much you can get done in warm weather and no hockey.
317 mi. as of today
got the timing settled down to where it starts and wants to idle.
Got some issues with carb. Went through the stuff i printed out,
but doing it can't be replaced. So I sat down with this stinky $10
boat anchor I bought at the swap meet, and used it as a learning tool.
It is simple to get the top off and see the inner workings.
I suspect a plugged passage in a booster.
Or rear float level, which
can be checked while running. Didn't want to remove carb .
All possible from FOMOCO.
Steering wheels straight, third times the charm.
replaced the 5-30 wt with 15-40, most of the valve train noise
Still running a little rich.
Got the front carpet back in -such as it is.
259 miles and fresh synthetic oil, might be time for a short trip on the freeway.