Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: tundrafiend01's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View tundrafiend01's profile Entries: 25
Views: 5320
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5

04-17-2006 03:11 PM No More :(
Well, it was fun, but I had to get rid of the Impala. I graduated College in December with a BS in Computer Information Systems, and got a job in Newport News, Va.

I would have gotten rid of the Impala anyways, because the garage I was renting was sold recently.

Oh well..

[Entry #25]

05-19-2005 08:41 PM Dissassembling the block
Heh..just made it in from gladewater a few minutes ago. I forgot how much fun it was to go out there and get dirty. I accomplished removing the exhaust manifold that was rusted in place, pulled the intake manifold, and pulled the heads.

I "removed" the exhaust manifold by drilling the bolt, hammering the bottom of the manifold until it broke, then broke the manifold in half. After more drilling, the rest of the manifold attached to the block finally slid off leaving the bolt in place. I removed the bolt with a set of vice grips.

After removing the exhaust manifold, I noticed one of the exhaust ports was crammed full of acorns, and pecans..stupid squirrel found himself a good hiding spot..little bastard..

After removing the exhaust manifold, I focused on the intake manifold. After that was removed, the heads came off without too many complications. Just needed a screw driver and pry bar to separate the head from the block.

The heads look like they are in pretty bad shape. The water ports are almost completely corroded shut and the valves look like they could use some serious tlc..

Anyway, next time I head out to gladewater (next friday I hope) I plan on removing the oil pan, underdrive pulley, timing chain, cam and crank to get it down to as bare a block as possible.

As for the heads, I plan on hot tanking them next week, and start practicing my porting skills.

[Entry #24]

11-20-2004 09:16 PM November 6, 2004
Engine pull...My aunt and uncle came down from dallas to help with the pull. Everything went well.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #23]

07-01-2004 08:50 PM July 1, 2004
More chop..well kinda. Today I built a wooden frame that stands inside the impala, so I could piece together the rest of the roof. I got about half way through with the framework till I ran out of lumber, so I will finish the framework next week hopefully.

On a side note, on the way home, I got pulled over doing 77 in a 65..got a ticket, but not for speeding. My address on my license was wrong, so thats all I was sited for..woot

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #22]

06-23-2004 12:22 AM June 22, 2004
Today I began re-assembling the roof from being sectioned. Not exaclty the best welding, especially since its flux cored, but I'm doing what I can. Anyways, I think it would be in my best interest to build a support system that will sit inside the car so i can peice the roof together and keep everything level. So thats my next chore. Anyways, here are a couple of pics of the welding I did today.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #21]

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5