after laboring over the need for a new firewall, I decided it was cheaper to replace than fix the old one. There were a ton of holes to fix, plus parts that the 4 letter R word has taken its toll on.
This shows the existing firewall with the spot welds drilled out.
The door pillar wanted to come back toward the door opening when the roof was jacked. It will move about 3"! Believe it or not! The cowl support, and a bit of the floor is removed here, as well as the (2) body mounts. The cowl support is vital in this car. With it being rusted as bad as it is, it HAD to be replaced. You can see The square tubing w/ allthread that I used to adjust the door opening. Its similar to the 1/2" pipe/allthread I used for the roof support. It was placed about 2" above the rocker panel . I pulled it out and set it on the runningboard supports for the picture.
This pic shows the Outer rocker panel placed, but not welded. A little rust work has to be done before this can go in.
The inner rocker was toast, so a new one had to be installed. You can see that the door post was ground pretty much flush. Still needs a bit of work. The outer rocker will weld to the door pillar. The inner pretty much just holds up the floor.
This pic shows how I supported the roof, to keep things in shape. I used (2) 1/2" black iron pipes cut to 40". I used (2) pieces of allthread, (with 2 washers and 2 nuts) slid inside the pipe. The nuts adjusted the height. I was able to jack against the frame and where the visors bolt into the roof rail. By jacking the roof, I was able to pull the deformation out of the door opening. It WAS pinched a bit above the wing window, as the rotted cowl support and door pillar allowed it to sink.