Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 36scsc's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 36scsc's profile Entries: 23
Views: 7583
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5

02-08-2005 04:08 PM Got the backside done (more or less)
Tail lights are in/working, trunk latch is installed, SS tips (just) installed. Fuel door is in, working (push 'gas door' button on dash to open).
Also, just got the radio working. Original radio head drives Autosound AM/FM / 6 CD changer.

Been driving it around the neighborhood a little most every day...Punched it a few times... enough to watch the vac/boost gauge go to pressure... what fun!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #23]

02-04-2005 01:06 AM Exhausting Story
I had originally routed the exhaust out in front of the rear wheels due to no more room over the rear axle... air bags, fuel filter/lines, brake lines, home made gas tank. The first time I fired it up (and everytime thereafter) I hated the sound, really sounded ratty. Decided to route the pipes under the axles (never occured to me before!). Anyway, got it done today (except hi temp paint).

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #22]

01-16-2005 01:00 AM On the road again...
After 5.5 years at it, I fired it up, backed it out of the garage and drove it around the block this evening! I know a little history of the car and this means its the first time in about 30 years it has moved under its own power. Still a lot of work to do but at least I am all done pushing it around by hand! Tried to move it under its own power a coupla nights ago but when I put it in any gear nothing happened. Turns out the torque converter needed to be shimed about 1/2 inch. The torque converter was not engaging the pump. Thank you Chazmac!

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #21]

01-10-2005 12:25 AM Closer still...
Radiator, both hoses, fan, engine air inlet/filter, master cyl./booster, swing arm all installed. Filled it up with water... no leaks! One of my first posts was to ask about painting the master cyl. Then daaa, use an aluminum one. Went to Pick-n-Pull, found an '87 LTD with just what I wanted. Got a new one at my local parts store. MUCH lighter too. Went to Costco and picked up an Optima to replace my Wal-Mart special I bought 3 years ago. Throttle is almost hooked up, still a little tweeking to do to get it right. Things still to do... service brakes, power steering, engine, transmission, hook up engine harness, hit start button...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #20]

01-03-2005 12:17 AM Heater, Air installed
Used an "Old Air" Hurricane unit under the dash, the stock compressor, Vintage Air condenser, and a Vintage Air installation kit (lines, fittings, dryer,trinary switch) that I picked up locally at "American Pastimes". They also loaned me their hose crimper for the #6, #8, and #10 fittings. All the plumbing is done. (If it leak checks OK). Still have the wiring to do. Everything (except the radiator) in the grill shell is completed. Things are getting pretty busy under the hood as this final stuff gets hooked up. While I once had visions of a real clean look under the hood, cleanliness gave way to practicality as I plan on using this thing as a daily driver and I want it to be comfortable and things available for maintenance without having to tear the car apart.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #19]

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5