Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: nasmovtx's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View nasmovtx's profile Entries: 5
Views: 641
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

12-20-2008 12:39 AM Firewall
bought a 1989 IROC 305 TPI to power the Terraplane, and it gave me the rear end, as well as a shinny alum drive-shaft. I had to rework the center X-member to give the 700R4 tranny room, but that made the frame that much stronger. However the stock firewall did not allow much room if I ever needed to swap out the distributor, so I found a shop in Montana who makes dished out firewalls, heavy gage metal. I cut out most of the orig. , but didn't finish it for a couple more yrs, as I wanted to try to use as much of the new one intact for the floor boards. I finally decided this fall that the metal was just too thick to try to do everything in one piece, so I cut it at the bottom and installed it. That became a domino effect, as so much of what I've been trying to plan has centered around the firewall. The steering column, the brakes, gas petal, etc. In the last 2 months I've made tons of progress, including a paper-mache bumper!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

12-20-2008 12:10 AM Doors..
One thing I've always liked about custom cars, suicide doors. I bought the hinges right after I got the car, and just looked at them for a long time. When I thought my welding skills had come along to where I could work on something that showed, I built a frame that held both hinges inline. I had already swapped the doors off the sedan, which ment the tops had to be retained. Lot of work just to have a straight skin.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

12-19-2008 11:55 PM more floor and z channels
The z channels went in pretty good, I just had to brace the body before cutting any of the floor out. It got me a little lower, but it was another couple yrs before moving on to the next step. Motorcycles, ya know.....

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

12-19-2008 11:38 PM first up.......
The floor was toast. I thought maybe I'd swap out the sedans floor but it wasnt much better. More luck though, as the sedan owner sent me off with not only the car but several yrs worth of hot rod mags, including a Oct. 1993 issue of Rod & Custom, with the tech how-to, "Floor it!" Going by those guide lines, I put in a new floor. I knew I wanted to make some changes to the body, shave door handles, lower as much as I could, etc, so if it needed a new floor, why not chanel it about 3 inchs? Sure!
The floor has a ridge behind the seats where the trunk begins, and since the trunk floor wasnt too bad I was able to move the floor up 3 inches, where the rest of the floor got a new frame. I used 1-1/2 steel sq. stock on the outside rails, 1 inch thru the middle, and cut some off right over the center Xmember, so I could have a flat floor. Holes cut into the frame work alow bolts thru the chassis, where I had welded 1/2in. nut plates.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

12-19-2008 11:10 PM 1937 Terraplane
Well, here goes.....I've thought about sharing what I've done with you fellas, for about 12 years. Thats how long I've been working on this project. You see, I've only owned 2 cars my whole life. Oh, I've owned several trucks, a couple of station wagons, and lots of motorcycles, but only 2 cars. My first was a 1940 Olds, which I had for 25 years. It, being an Olds, , lent itself to being a "resto-rod" with SBC 350/350 power using the orig. rearend. If it had been a Caddy or a Packard, I'd would have left it stock, and if it had been a Chevy or Ford, I could have treated myself to all kinds of neat after-market goodies to make up for 60 yr old technology. So, being an Olds kind of guy, after I sold it I started looking for another "not run of the mill-more off-beat" kind of car. Kinda of like me......
I found the Terraplane in Hemmings, from a guy in Spokane. It was just the body, but at 500$ i figured it was a good place to start. I flew over from home in Seattle, and was a bit disapointed it was so rough. No frame, no grill, but I did get some luck. After I sent the guy a check but before I went to pick it up, I was overheard telling a friend about it at a local show, by a guy who knew something about another 37 Hudson. Seems he knew a guy, who knew a guy, who had a 37 2door he wanted to sell. I lost the guys number, but ran into him the same weekend I brought the coupe home. Another 500$, but I got a frame, grill, and the start of what has been part anchor, part love affair, but mostly a hole to throw my time and money into off and on for 13 yrs now.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]