Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 72
Views: 7025
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (15): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

07-09-2015 01:51 PM 54 Desoto Schadenfreude
Some of you may recall the paint problems that occurred on a friend's '54 DeSoto Firedome that has appeared in my Journal. In summary, they paid a local shop (who now has a TV reality show on Velocity, FantomWorks) to repaint the car. The body was soda blasted and not properly neutralized so rust bubbled under the paint. This was verified not only by two paint shops, but by FantomWorks paint shop manager. The shop owner vehemently denied any responsibility and angrily invited my friends to get the car out of his shop and get in line to sue him.

So this appeared in the local paper the other day:
http://hamptonroads.com/2015/07/fant...s-wounded-vets

In summary, the owner appears to have fallen very short of his representations concerning his car-related non-profit organization and our state senator has called for an IRS investigation into the matter.

Given his behavior toward my friends, I'm not surprised at all by this turn of events. I hope a quick investigation clears this up.

[Entry #72]

07-06-2015 12:30 PM Gettin Ready for the August 6-15 Streetrodder Autopalooza Tour
After 7 year's absence from the Tour, I'm getting the wife's car ready for the trip.

Last week, the front brakes were replaced. This week, rear anti-sway bar bushings were replaced and the driver's seats was adjusted (the power seat was hanging up so that my wife could not move the seat forward).

Just a few minor things left to do, but the car is in great shape.

We are looking forward to the Tour that runs from from the Louisville show to the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise. It's an opportunity to re-connect with old friends and see some great cars.

[Entry #71]

06-07-2015 11:44 AM 2002 Isuzu Trooper
My youngest daughter drives a 1999 Isuzu Trooper with about 180,000 miles. Her boyfriend "found a 2002 taken by his business lawyer in trade for services rendered. It was described as having a "blown head gasket". We took a quick look; it didn't appear as though the head gasket was blown, so we took a chance for $600. Long story short, some additional investigation (the engine would not turn over), the big end of a rod is broken and it looks like the original owner probably knew that. The lawyer kindly offered to refund our money and will "talk" to his client . . .

In other news, Matt is looking for vehicle. He located a mid-60s vintage Corvair but was about an hour too late to close the deal.

[Entry #70]

05-02-2015 10:17 AM Update
The '39 Plymouth has a 454 Chevy/700-R4 combo. I took it to the Colonial Williamsburg Rod Run last weekend and the AACA regional meet at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach this weekend. I was pleased that the overheating problem seems to be fixed and I'm getting 13mpg. Lots of little things still left to fix, but it's nice to be able to drive it.

Matt drove the '37 Plymouth to the CWRR and it performed like it used to. Seems we got a permanent fix on this one as well..

The '54 Desoto Firedome is back home with the owner. Fixing the solenoid on the starter certainly made a huge difference in being able to start the car. The brakes are still a mess and seem to be impossible to adjust correctly; it pulls to the right.

The new-to-us 2002 Isuzu Trooper is on the lift, but won't get much attention as my seasonal business is now open and Matt is working there full-time.

Lots of metal work to be done on the Triumph TR3. New target finish date is Spring 2016.

[Entry #69]

04-15-2015 05:53 PM Re-Arranged the Cars
We got both hotrods running so we could move the 2002 Isuzu Trooper onto the 4-post lift and begin work on that. We're told it has a blown head gasket, but the oil doesn't indicate that. The PO had started the repair and given up.

[Entry #68]

Pages (15): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15