Thought it might be fun to share some picture and info on my 50 Mercury project. I was offered the car from a family friend who purchased some more farm land on which the car was located. Being a field car, it wasn't in the best condition but there are not too many Merc's that have survived here in Manitoba, and the price was right.
After getting the mercury home I was able to really check out the condition of the car. The car was basically complete except that someone had taken the DS window,regulator, interior molding and vent window at some time. That wouldn't have been so bad except that this side of the car faced the NW prevailing winds and filled the interior with black dirt in the summer and snow in the winter which made a real mess of the floor & A pillars. Under the hood everything was there but there was evidence of a severe front end collision on the front frame. Looks like floor and frame are in order.
After doing some research I found that some custom Mercs were built using a GM B body frame suspension and floor. Because of the longer Mercury wheelbase I would need to use a longer Olds 98 or Buick Park Ave chassis. I located a good 1982 Buick and started to prep the Merc and strip the Buick. Some people have used the entire engine/trans, floor and firewall including the gas pedal and brake mounts in this swap. If you remove the Buick's outer rockers and retain the inners you can actually channel the merc body about 4 1/2" over the chassis.
With the newer chassis under the 4.5" channeled Merc body I needed to change the rad cradle and inner fenders. I made up a new cradle to fit past the Buick steering box and made inner inner fenders that work with the control arms. A new Griffin aluminum rad will take over the cooling chores.