Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: IATECH's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View IATECH's profile Entries: 13
Views: 1315
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

11-15-2012 09:55 AM 1950 Mercury Project
Using the Buick floor and chassis made this part of the project easy. The front crossmember only needed to have the engine mounts unbolted and the Chevy small block mounts from a 80's Caprice bolted in. I am building a mild 327 with a 200r transmission, so I fabricated a cross member for this engine trans combo. The front and rear frame horns needed to be trimmed slightly and I modified them for the new bumper mounts. The biggest modification that I made was removing the weak factory 7.25" differential and adapting a 1970 12 bolt. The 70 diff also has the advantage of being nearly 1" narrower, allowing me to run the wheel and tire combo that I wanted.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

11-15-2012 09:37 AM 1950 Mercury
I was able to retain the original wheel wells from the Mercury as the floor from the Buick slid right between them. Once everything was welded up and cleaned it was time for paint and undercoating. I live in a rural area and this car is going to get driven. LOTS!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

10-15-2012 07:49 PM 1950 Mercury Project
With the body channeled over the Buick floor, I needed to extend the lower cowl and inner rockers.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

04-23-2012 01:21 PM 1950 Mercury Project
With the newer chassis under the 4.5" channeled Merc body I needed to change the rad cradle and inner fenders. I made up a new cradle to fit past the Buick steering box and made inner inner fenders that work with the control arms. A new Griffin aluminum rad will take over the cooling chores.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

04-11-2012 11:32 AM 1950 Mecury Project
After welding in the floor and sandblasting and painting the frame I dropped it back to the ground to see what this would look like.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3