Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: IATECH's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View IATECH's profile Entries: 13
Views: 1457
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

04-11-2012 12:28 PM 1950 mercury project
After doing some research I found that some custom Mercs were built using a GM B body frame suspension and floor. Because of the longer Mercury wheelbase I would need to use a longer Olds 98 or Buick Park Ave chassis. I located a good 1982 Buick and started to prep the Merc and strip the Buick. Some people have used the entire engine/trans, floor and firewall including the gas pedal and brake mounts in this swap. If you remove the Buick's outer rockers and retain the inners you can actually channel the merc body about 4 1/2" over the chassis.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

01-26-2012 12:15 PM 1950mercury Project
After getting the mercury home I was able to really check out the condition of the car. The car was basically complete except that someone had taken the DS window,regulator, interior molding and vent window at some time. That wouldn't have been so bad except that this side of the car faced the NW prevailing winds and filled the interior with black dirt in the summer and snow in the winter which made a real mess of the floor & A pillars. Under the hood everything was there but there was evidence of a severe front end collision on the front frame. Looks like floor and frame are in order.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

01-26-2012 11:57 AM 1950 Mercury Project
Thought it might be fun to share some picture and info on my 50 Mercury project. I was offered the car from a family friend who purchased some more farm land on which the car was located. Being a field car, it wasn't in the best condition but there are not too many Merc's that have survived here in Manitoba, and the price was right.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]