Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: glassratt's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View glassratt's profile Entries: 75
Views: 39432
now viewing from the beginning || view most recent entries

Pages (15): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

05-14-2004 03:56 PM Fabrication of the "glassratt"
Hi my names keith jacobsen "Jake".I live in marysville washington here are a few pictures of my addiction its a 1962 corvette"a real one ",not a repop.the cars history that I know of was it was a shop tech project from the university of Oregon,body shop & auto shop.they decided to part with it after campaining it at the local drag strip a few years.it was sold at the portland Oregon fair grounds big swap meet in the spring of 1993 to rick campbell of snohomish,machias area of washington.he owned Campbells drive in,at silver lake, a local drive in were hot rodders hang out on the weekends,he sold the drive in ,but it has since been torn down in the name of progress.and now owens another called the pillchuck drive in in snohomish.Rick is kind of the hotrodders big brother at least for helping me out on little things on my first hot rod a 59 vette, I was 21 at the time I first met him.he probably has owned at least 15 to 20 corvettes" 1954 to 1962"over the years and still has a great collection. "A real corvette has steel bumpers and a trunk!"It was a father"jim"and son hobby.He sold the car to dan leslie .his plan was for it to be a street rod.I first met dan back in the 80s he had a bad to the bone 1964 corvette he called the glassrat,it had a 454 bored to 468 with a tunnel ram it was tubed it ran 10:50 as a street car "back then that was as fast as a pro stock"he made it into a few rod magazines.one night we were all out on the town crusing everett wa."cant do that no more city ordinance $1,000 fine"a lot of econo cars not to many rods out kind of a boring night I pulled into a&w drive in in my 1959 corvette and got afew whisels from the car hops ordered a cheese burger and a coke and headed south out of town.I pulled into the kmart parking lot and sat and finished our snack,just then dan came by and pulled up and we shot the bull,boy the vettes looked good in the light his 64 and the 59.we talked about how boring the night was and dan said hey...lets go drag!I said oh man Iam way out classed I can only run high 11s he said so what at least its somthing to do and youd only be loosin to another vette!well he had a point so I agreeed,well the word passed along the cruse like wild fire their must have been 60 cars driving down to the checkerd flag"the name of an old tavern on airport road in front of the boeing flight line it was a 1/4 mile between a traffic light and a old bridge so with about 60 teenagers and young adults lined up on eather side of the road we both lined up did our burn outs to warm up the hides then we staged ......the light turned green and I had a hole shot I was haulin I left at about 5,800 rpm,I grabed 2nd gear and tire smoke started to billow inside the vette I looked in the rear view mirror as I grabed 3rd and dan had not even left yet and I was at least 100 ft out,all of a sudden I herd the growl over my small block and it was the glassrat. I grabed 4th he blew me away by 2 car legnths in the 1/4 Ill never forget that run. he sold the glassrat in a"DIVORCE".so now dan has the 1962 vette he dissassembaled the vette and had a friend Terry richards "he builds funny cars and street rods"split the stock frame and beef it up with 4130 chrome molly cross members, mustang II rack and pinion with disc brakes a 4 link with a panhard bar 9" 3:23 28 splined axels"street rod vison only"all the fab was done and put it together for fit before paint he put in a 400 small block and a turbo400, I saw it at campbells drive in on its first shake down before paint.I gave dan a call and asked him who had done his tub job,he told me"terry" but said he was selling the 62 and not to chop up my 59 and to by his he would cut me a deal.a month later 2-18-95 I was the proud owner.since then my vision was to build a bad *** OUTLAW Prostreet 1962 vette what you see now is 2,680lbs from a stock weight of 3065lbs,I havent tryed to put her on a diet thats just the way she sits.lots of room for weight reduction IE....."speed"it still has the mustang front end,I had brad haddmen of "progressive metal craft " in Arburn Wa. put in the 4130 chrome molly 12pt rollcage.the chassie was certed by mike rice"div 6 pres nhra now" but chassie inspetor then along with Mr. valentine. I was in need of a good strong foundation for a drag motor,not many runs,and in my price range.I found a Jim oddy blower motor in NATIONAL DRAGSTER after corispondance I picked up from canadain pro mod racer Mark neilsen of neilsen motor sports from ontario canada,his car is called "shock therapy"a Jim Oddy 540 ci ,14-71 blown,alcohol injected 2,200hp bbc detuned to 1,600 hp,he had put 20 runs on the track with it,and then sent it back to jim oddy for a COMPLETE REBUILD from blower to pan. this is going to be a "street driven rod "well at least 40 runs down the track,and 20 times out on the street then its tear down time.the trans is a Mikes monster glide ,and the drive shaft,3rd member"aluminum",9" full floater with 40 splined axels is all mark williams with vented disc brakes,she should blow a 7:00 to 7:20 @ 203. the wiring,plumbing"fuel & cooling system"and total car engineering,interior design and assembly and grunt work ,when completed will have been my doing,"she still needs a paint job,any sugestions on a type,style paint job I should put on her?"but the rollcage,tank fab were farmed to more tallented persons"life starts a 200mph"I just want to do it and survive it.to become a member of the street legal 200mph club.If all goes well she will be ready spring opener 2005.dan hooked up with me at the burger king on evergreen way in everett in 2001,took alook at the vette and smiled,I asked him since he owned the first glassrat" 64vette"and had owned my 62vette would he mind if I named the 62 vette the GLASSRATT he smiled and said not a problem this is the GLASSRATT so out of respect for the first rat I use 2 t's signafiying glassratt #2.so keep an eye on the glassratt journal cause I have more pictures of the chassie but they need to be scanned to a disk..also Iam looking for sponsor to enhance my race team,as you can see at this stage Iam 100% home grown ,and in need of sponsorship to take the Glassratt to that next level that she deserves and in turn bring attention to the sponsor with this unique ride.if your interested just send me a personal message at this web site,thank you..Jake

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #75]

05-14-2004 04:03 PM fabrication of the "Glassratt"
work was done at tim levins shop.tim whiped up that neet engine lifting fixture,it lifts from the exhaust ports,rather than the intake,thus not stressing the blower.a very handy individual to have around.he has worked on a lot of famous drag cars,AA/Fuel Altereds dave houghs old nanook #2 and#3 super nanook"nitro only" thats it in the picture on the left,thats the cage behind tim and I ."& tocco-harper-garten,owner for both is geno debortole I work with him at the big everett airplane co.don onells "grape ape" it was in the movie american graffiti #2,randy and brad bradfords 37 fiat,birkhalter bros fiat owned jack belinsky the list goes on....talent at its finest

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #74]

05-14-2004 04:06 PM more pictures
engine mock up complete,1/4" clearance from back of blower to wiper motor on fire wall,solid aluminium motor mount plates,solid steel mid motor plate,2" 1/2"inside dia.headers into 5"collectors & 5" spin tech crush tube exhaust and mufflers

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #73]

05-14-2004 04:10 PM fabrication of the "Glassratt"
all stainless steel bow tie fuel tank designed and mocked up out of cardboard by myself,the motor runs on methenol and it is very hard on aluminium,so the decision was made to make it out of stainless .fabricated and buildt by tim levin

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #72]

05-15-2004 03:19 AM crate motor/cage of super nanook
side shot of engine,shot of super nanook

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #71]

Pages (15): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15