Well folks, this is it for a year or so. After a long day of jacking, moving, lowering, jacking, etc...the frame is back under the body. Sorry for the lack of pictures but, by the time I got it all done and moved all of my pieces, parts, tools, etc. under the truck, it was late and I was nasty dirty and smelly (what's new, huh?).
Let me tell you what, she's sitting MUCH lower now. I really like the stance. I've still got a couple of weeks to go before I split so, I'll try to get a shot of it for ya'll.
This has to do with my project journal in that it shows a halting point to my project (but I would rather consider it a mile stone).
I'll have one more posting (next weekend) where I do a little work under the cab and put the frame back under the body. After that, the project is going to be on hold. I'm leaving our fine country to expand my work experience for roughly a year and a half. It's a rough decision but, it's the best decision (we're hoping!) for the present and the future.
For those of you that have been following this build closely...don't worry!
I WILL be back on it (with a couple of extra bucks more than I have currently budgeted for it).
Once I get set up with an Internet connection, I'll still be around to answer questions about how I did this or that...or let you know where I found various materials.
Of course, I'll be envious of you guys actively working on your projects!
I'm not expecting to find any cool iron over there but, if I do...I'll post pictures. Where am I going? Batam, Indonesia. It's roughly a 45 minute ferry ride south of Singapore. Although the British governed portions of Indonesia many moons ago, I don't think there will be much on this particular island (Riau) in the way of old rides. I've read that there are some over around Central Java but, I don't know if I'll venture over there.
You just never know....
Decided I better get back on the cab, even if I couldn't commit to the whole weekend.
First I drilled out the front weather stripping channel so that I could get to my kick panel. Then I took the grinder and the Dremel to the panel. Once I removed most of the panel, I went to work on the rusted out fender cowl. Cutting it first with a cut-off wheel on the grinder and then; finishing the "hard to get to" area with the Dremel. The hardest part of that process was that the lower portion of the cowl skin had quite a bit of rust...and a slight crack on the seam. Drilling out the spot welds was easy for the most part but, there were tow points lower down that were tough. I ended up have to take the Dremel to them and slowly cutting them off so that I didn't destroy what was left of the outer skin.
That done, I tapped my replacement piece. Turns out I was off by roughly 2/8 of an inch on my cut. Not bad considering there's no easy way to measure putting in a piece like this.
Spent the remaining time cleaning off the floorboard side in preparation for the kick panel. I'm going to cut out the bad area in the floor board and repair before moving further towards replacing the kick panel.
I had been waiting for it. We have deed restrictions that restrict having a boat, trailer or any broken vehicle in the driveway for extended periods. I've had the frame out in the driveway (covered with a tarp) for a good two + months now. The letter stated I had to remove it by the 5th. It doesn't bother me. I support the deed restrictions for the most part because it keeps the neighborhood looking good hence; the property value up.
It's a pretty good bunch running the homeowners association here. I was on the board for a couple of years a few years back. Rules are rules but they're reasonable. I put in a call for someone to call me back. If I can get another month, I can slide the frame back under the body and it'll be tucked away in the garage again. I still have a little work to do on the underside of the body before putting the frame back in. I can do it with the frame in but, it would be soooo much easier with it out.
I think they'll give me another month. We keep the home up and the landscaping nice. The same can't be said of all of our neighbors...some even close by...
As for the project status, I haven't done anything in three weekends. I did get in another can of Zero Rust for the bottom of the cab. We've had a lot of other stuff going on that needed attention. Not working on it for a few weekends is OK though. I'm patient and needed a breather anyway.
With this notice we got tonight, looks like it's time to get my rear in gear again. Guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend...