Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: dmh_sr's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View dmh_sr's profile Entries: 33
Views: 13387
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (7): 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

11-09-2011 10:53 AM Engine rebuild with 1960's hot rod parts
Our early 1970's 400 cubic inch Small Block Chevy is a great torque engine (6.6 liters baby), but I wanted the nostalgic look of a mid 1960's 327 engine. So we traded some parts to a friend for a pair of crusty old 1965 cylinder heads. They're known a "double hump" or "camel back" heads because of the casting mark on each end, which resembles the humps of a double hump camel. They were the best cast iron cylinder heads in the Chevrolet high compression small block line-up (302 - 327 - 350) in the sixties. They're old school and after bead blasting, machining and replacing all the parts they're good as new.

Also, we're using an old Edelbrock four barrel intake manifold with a front oil fill tube and a Holley carburetor. Danny bead blasted the vintage Corvette finned aluminum valve covers to help give it the look. After a little garage rebuild and paint it's looking rather retro.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #23]

11-09-2011 10:48 AM Roadster frame done, Sedan frame painted
Sandblasted the sedan frame to remove the rust. Transferred it from the large rotisserie to the small rotisserie and started painting it.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #22]

10-21-2011 01:18 PM Building a frame for a future car projec
Welded nut plates for body mounts & stops for the boxing plates in the new frame rails. Used the old sedan frame as a "fixture" to properly locate and weld together my future roadster project frame (am I crazy or what, lol).

Finished the roadster frame by welding in boxing plates and crossmembers - FINALLY DONE!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #21]

10-21-2011 01:15 PM Enter Project Mini Bike
Almost forgot, took some time off to build a mini bike with my son. First picture shows what we started with. Last couple show it finished with a cool "Monsters on Mini Bikes" sticker we put on the clutch cover we fabricated.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #20]

10-21-2011 01:03 PM Take it all apart for finish welding
Long time since the last update. Stripped the car down to bare body & frame (removed the engine, transmission, rear axle and suspension, front axle and suspension, steering, etc.) Welded up some spreader bars & mounted the frame to two engine stands, rotisserie style. Finished welding & grinding on the sedan frame. Decided to build another frame for a future roadster (convertible) project while I had the bare sedan frame to use as a "fixture" (see frame pieces up on wall in background pic #2). Ground & fitted boxing plates for the new frame.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #19]

Pages (7): 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7