Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: dmh_sr's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View dmh_sr's profile Entries: 33
Views: 13483
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

12-15-2008 08:33 AM New Floorboards
Last week my son and I took some measurements for the driveshaft and had an old one shortened, rebalanced, painted and new U-joints installed (no picture). After we installed it we started on making new floorboards.

We used birch plywood which has 11 plies and should be pretty strong. Next we need to make some mods to firewall, build a transmission hump and build toe boards.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

12-15-2008 08:17 AM Working in the new shop
Building/moving/unpacking is over and I finally started working in the new shop. Decided to replace air compressor intake filter with a silencer/filter. It didn't just bolt up, so we had to make a little manifold with steel plate & a pipe elbow.

Surprising how much noise there is from the intake side of a compressor. It made a noticeable difference.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

04-19-2007 04:10 PM Bolting Down the Engine & Transmission
After bolting down the engine, I was able to start on the transmission cross-member.

Wilson (remember the movie Castaway?) was there to help talk me through it.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

04-19-2007 04:05 PM Final Engine Positioning
After mocking up the engine with all brackets, pulleys, belts, radiator and fan, I was able to nail down where I wanted to position the engine (front to rear & side to side).

I then drilled matched holes through the engine and frame brackets and trimmed and finished out the engine brackets.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

04-19-2007 03:52 PM Firewall Clearance & New Brackets
The new engine sits back a little further than the stock engine, so I cut the firewall & pushed the center back a little for clearance.

My wife asked if she could help, so she installed the new alternator and air conditioning compressor brackets (she is so cool!).

I mocked up the steering box and steering links with the steering box bracket I fabricated earlier.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7