I can't believe it's been three years since I've updated this journal. I still have a ton of work to do but thought I should post some new pictures.
I made a framework from poultry wire covered it in duct tape, then covered with fleece and four layers of glass.
Space in this car is at a premium. I bought 4 small aluminum tanks a year ago for the reserve air for the air suspension. I originally thought I would mount them under the floor but, because of the low ride height of the car and the shallow frame rail width I decided to utilize the unused space under the trunk lid. I cut the original mounts off the tanks and fabricated some manifolds from 1" aluminum round stock and tig welded them together. Each tank and manifold assembly only weighs 6 lbs. so it didn't add much weight to the trunk lid.
The trunk is almost used up by just the 16 gallon fuel cell alone but, the 36" wheel tubs will use a ton of space as will the compressor for the air bags, the battery, tank for alcohol water injection, a ton of electrical hardware and a space saver spare tire.
Mounting the trunk lid itself was a pain. I found some hinges that would work and fabricated all the necessary hardware to attach them and the gas struts to hold it open.
I also recessed my license plate for a clean look
It's been almost a year since my last entry so, It's time to update. Progress has been slow partially because I had to acquire a tubing bender and tig welder to build the roll cage and, I've never done this before. Anyway, most the roll cage is finished and I have been working on the steering and petal assembly. I shortened a GM tilt column and fabricated a new lower section. I was able to use the universals from the donor cars steering shaft under the dash and I fabricated the rest using a spherical bearing in a aluminum housing where the steering shaft passes through the firewall.
I was able to use the brake petal and arm from the donor car but, I had to fabricate the clutch petal arm and the rest of the assembly. The clutch petal is mounted in needle bearings and the brake shaft in spherical bearings so, operation should be smooth. I'm using a McLeod hydraulic master cylinder like the one in a late model camaro to release the McLeod twin disc clutch.
I decided to use a hydro-boost brake assist unit that operates off of the power steering hydraulics because I didn't want to rely on engine vacuum for power assist but, I'll have to use some sort of remote reservoir master cylinder because of it's location inside the left fender. All this hardware is mounted to a reinforced 1/8" steel plate that should be stout enough to handle the stress. When I build the firewall, I'll just lay it on top of the 1/8" plate. It should look very clean and add additional strength.
Don't know what happened on my last entry, it didn't post the photos of the inter cooler and wouldn't let me delete.
Anyway, I mounted the inter cooler and fabricated the supply tubes last weekend. After that, I installed the sheet metal again to make sure everything clears and installed the grille to see how well it masks the inter cooler.