All this turbo plumbing fabrication is taking longer than I imagined it would. After pricing a custom inter cooler from a couple of suppliers, I decided to buy a core and fab the rest of the hardware myself.
Making the tanks wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I used old cereal boxes to make the patterns then transfered them to .060 thick aluminum. To get the radius I clamped a piece of 3" exhaust pipe in a vice and formed the aluminum with a large dead blow hammer. I machined the inlet and outlet tubes in a lathe, and had a friend weld it all together. The cost to build was about a third of what I was quoted for a custom unit.
The headers are almost finished, with the exception of welding the collectors and waste gate tubes. Man, what a pain these are to build.
I machined four little stainless steel brackets that bolt to each head, and I'm going to fabricate stainless support struts to each corner of the turbo mount to support the weight.
I started the left side header last weekend. It is more time consuming than I thought it would be fabricating all the header hardware. I made this ugly angle iron bracket to mount the turbos to, so I could move them to different locations to find, what I hope, is the best location for everything to fit. It also helps with the header construction.
Decided a couple of months ago to go in a different direction with the rambler and turbocharge it. Through my hot rod carrer I've had several high compressin big cam cars, which was the original plan with this car, and I had a supercharged 392 hemi in the mid seventies. Turbos I haven't done, and I knew little about them.
I chose to go with twin Garrett GT32 that will support up to 420 horsepower each. This changed the scope of my project completly.
Stuck the front end sheet metal on and laid some tubes down to get an idea of location for intake to the turbos and supply and exit to the intercooler. I'm going to fabricate my own intercooler tanks, so I just purchased a core. The plan is 2 1/2" supply tubes to each side of the intercooler bottom and a single 3 1/2" exit from the center of the top, then over the radiator and into the throttle body.
I Tied the rear frame rails to the body over the weekend so, I was able to bring it up on the air bags and roll it out of the garage.
Hard to believe it's been ten months already. This is going to take a while to complete.
Anyway, I rolled it out of the garage with it's two life lines attached (air for the bags and power for the valves) and took a couple of pics with and without air so, you can see the range of suspension travel.