OK, the rate of progress is at a crawl but at least it's still moving forward. I started assembling my in tank fuel pump kit. Now that the new mounting surface is welded in place I was able to realize that the baffle tray from the kit is about 1/8" too long (it hit against the baffle plate inside the tank) So I chopped it and welded that back up. Then the height of the pump didn't fit (there is only 6" or so of room- the "minimum" adjustment of the kit). So I chopped the end of the nipple off to get it to just clear. I've since assembled the rest of the kit, but I'm not happy with how little room is between the filter and the baffle tray. The filter is virtually pressed against it. I think the next time I'm in the garage I'll cut a hole in the bottom of the baffle tray to allow a bit more room for the pump to collect fuel. The baffle tray walls will still reduce the "sloshing" and its touching the bottom of the tank anyhow so I believe it will still be effective.
I was able to install my rear brakes. The hold up was replacing the rear wheel seal I mangled trying to install it. I don't have a professional wheel seal installer, so I made my own with some scrap aluminum and plastic tubing. This is ever so slightly thinner than the wheel seal itself allowing it to fit inside my axle tube and get the seal in there tight. The plastic served to hold the seal.
I also ground some notches into the axle bolts so they would fit snug and not be cockeyed during the install. I need to get a master cylinder, proportioning valve and some tubing so I can finish this part up.
I started the e-brake assembly, but there is little point in finishing this part now as I believe this needs to fit/ work around other components that are not yet in the car (not the other way around)
So the good news is I got my door latches and windows in. After installing the vent windows and the door windows nothing lined up, so all three windows on each side needed readjusting, but I think I finally got them working.
I also started working on my gas tank modification- as I need more room for the in-tank fuel pump. So I made a template, cut the tank, filed it, got it all ready and then remembered oh yeah, I have a gauge sender to locate as well. So I made a new template, cut the tank, filed it and got it all ready again. This time I double checked and I seem to have enough room for everything. I tried bending the plate I need (14 gauge SS) but it's a bit thick and came out looking like horribly. So I cut a second piece and will attempt to borrow a hand brake to bend it right.
At a stand still there I decided to install the brakes I got for my car. I started with the rears first until I ruined an axle seal installing it. As my luck would have it there is no part number listed for the axle seal in my paperwork for the axle I bought, and none of the four different local parts stores could even figure out what it came from, let alone have one in stock. So I'll call Moser tomorrow and hopefully they can tell me the part number so I can locate new ones and get the rear brakes on. I did get the fronts on, and I'm happy with that.
This was one of those weekends where I spent time in the garage, but I didn't feel like I got much accomplished. I'm still waiting for my door handle parts to finish rebuilding my door handles (I lost the originals, and have ordered replacements) Until then I can't install the door latches or windows.
so I thought I'd work on my gas tank. I had previously picked up a "Rick's" SS tank at Pomona, and I need to add an electric fuel pump for my fuel injected engine. (I prefer an in tank pump to allow the fuel to keep the pump cooler/ last longer) I had bought one of those "tanks, inc" fuel pump kits that come with an additional fuel tray. I was all set to install the kit when I realized I need to modify the tank. That will require another weekend or so to get that done.
I did install the window felt on the back windows as well as the last of the replacement rubber parts and I painted some bolts as well as cleaned up the door latches. Progress is progress...
Small update- I painted the engine block this weekend, and installed the rear windows. Weird thing about the rear window install- they are the same parts going into the same place, but yet they wouldn't roll up all the way. I've moved them back as far as I could and took the stoppers out to get them to work. At least they work, I suppose. I had to make a tool to get the metal bracket off the one window- the rollers were rusted shut. I needed to clean them to get them working again.
I also bought this old wagon at the last Pomona swap meet. I'm thinking some type of gasser theme for it. It'll be fun.