So the good news is I got my door latches and windows in. After installing the vent windows and the door windows nothing lined up, so all three windows on each side needed readjusting, but I think I finally got them working.
I also started working on my gas tank modification- as I need more room for the in-tank fuel pump. So I made a template, cut the tank, filed it, got it all ready and then remembered oh yeah, I have a gauge sender to locate as well. So I made a new template, cut the tank, filed it and got it all ready again. This time I double checked and I seem to have enough room for everything. I tried bending the plate I need (14 gauge SS) but it's a bit thick and came out looking like horribly. So I cut a second piece and will attempt to borrow a hand brake to bend it right.
At a stand still there I decided to install the brakes I got for my car. I started with the rears first until I ruined an axle seal installing it. As my luck would have it there is no part number listed for the axle seal in my paperwork for the axle I bought, and none of the four different local parts stores could even figure out what it came from, let alone have one in stock. So I'll call Moser tomorrow and hopefully they can tell me the part number so I can locate new ones and get the rear brakes on. I did get the fronts on, and I'm happy with that.
This was one of those weekends where I spent time in the garage, but I didn't feel like I got much accomplished. I'm still waiting for my door handle parts to finish rebuilding my door handles (I lost the originals, and have ordered replacements) Until then I can't install the door latches or windows.
so I thought I'd work on my gas tank. I had previously picked up a "Rick's" SS tank at Pomona, and I need to add an electric fuel pump for my fuel injected engine. (I prefer an in tank pump to allow the fuel to keep the pump cooler/ last longer) I had bought one of those "tanks, inc" fuel pump kits that come with an additional fuel tray. I was all set to install the kit when I realized I need to modify the tank. That will require another weekend or so to get that done.
I did install the window felt on the back windows as well as the last of the replacement rubber parts and I painted some bolts as well as cleaned up the door latches. Progress is progress...
Small update- I painted the engine block this weekend, and installed the rear windows. Weird thing about the rear window install- they are the same parts going into the same place, but yet they wouldn't roll up all the way. I've moved them back as far as I could and took the stoppers out to get them to work. At least they work, I suppose. I had to make a tool to get the metal bracket off the one window- the rollers were rusted shut. I needed to clean them to get them working again.
I also bought this old wagon at the last Pomona swap meet. I'm thinking some type of gasser theme for it. It'll be fun.
I picked up my engine this weekend from Superior. They built a 383 stroker out of my LS1. They also broke it in and made an initial run on the dyno with a basic tune. once the car is fully driving and has a few thousand miles on it then they will do a final tune. Now I just need to get the car together...
This weekend I installed the roof rail weatherstripping, those screws around the window frames to replace the broken trim attachment studs (the silver ones that are easy to see are the new ones, the originals are painted over and difficult to see in this pic), took the car off the body dolly onto some jack stands and installed the rear axle.
The body dolly isn't really suited for the weight of the entire car, so it had to go...