As mentioned in my last post- I got another project car. This is a '55 Chevy 210. The idea with this is a rough n raw old school looking gasser. The inspiration is, of course, the 2LBT car. However, it won't be a clone. I have already located a '57 chevy truck front axle as well as a set of American Racing 200s rims. I'm going to do my best to resist working on this until I at least have my Firebird driving. What's convenient is this car already has a glass clip, doors and trunk, as well as a 9"
I'm still alive. It's been one busy weekend after another, and I got distracted. I bought another car- a '55 chevy. I plan to make a "2 lane black top" style gasser out of it. real rough and basic. The beauty is it came with all the same 'glass parts to make a 2lbt car, and a 9" rear. But first things first. I need to get my Firebird driveable (while I collect parts for the '55).
I spent today working on the rear bumper more- getting it to fit better. The first pic shows the large gap along the right side of the bumper . I t required cutting the bumper and shaving it down a bit, as well as revising three of the four bumper brackets (multiple times) I lost count how many times today alone the bumper went on, came off, went back on, etc..
It looks a bit better now. It's not perfectly straight, and it'll need some love by a bumper shop one day. But it's good enough for me at this moment.
I also welded up my widened rear bumper and am happy with the results. The passenger side of my second bumper was rusted through, so I ended up slicing a section and adding it to my original one. Not my first choice, as it's two welded strips and more opportunity for misalignment, but it was this, or chop out the corner and patch that. I may need to either adjust, or shim, my rear bumper bracket to get it to sit level, and then I can revise the side brackets to fit. Since I moved the bumper in closer they won't fit as is.
This weekend I finished up the gas tank filler neck area. I had to made a recess in my box to clear the trunk latch. I also built another box in the trunk floor (really using up the last of my old original passenger door skin) to locate the original filler neck rubber sleeve and bracket. I shortened the sleeve and will use a clamp to help seal off any fumes.
I also started the fuel filler neck. since I had recessed my tail panel, and the fact that I have always wanted ot add those anti slosh/ siphon valve into the tank to prevent slosh, and am annoyed with how the modern fuel pumps don't work on older cars, the natural conclusion was to update my car with a modern filler neck. I liberated one from an Astro in a junkyard and began hacking away.
I'm also working on building a box for the filler neck to reside in, and hope to continue next weekend