Today I finished up the inner bracing, which is just a couple of plates to help laminate the metal. It's plug welded as well as around to perimeter, and this should complete the frame reinforcement. I also added the metal in front closing off the ends of the frame rails, making sure I welded all the way through to make sure I had enough material to safely radius the edges. Included is one pic showing material that went through.
Next I'll start mocking up the front suspension. This will only be tacked in place as I have no idea where the car will sit without the drivetrain yet, but I need to start somewhere, and with this on at least I'll have the possibility of rolling the car on its own.
Today's update includes some pics of the cutting and blending of the old frame into the new rails, and the exterior detail/ reinforcement that I added to the frame. I was going to make this solid at first but then I decided to make more work and add some holes. Tomorrow I hope to add some plates on the inside. these will be small and simple pieces as I don't quite know where my crossmember will be so I don't want to make anything extravagant that will cause me hassles later on, and then weld on the plates to cover up the fronts of the frame rails.
I made a little more progress today by getting the new rails cut out and started to weld into place. I have some frame rail blending, welding and reinforcing tomorrow, as well as making plates to fill in the frontal area. It'll be covering up the prettier of my welds, of course, ha ha
I also determined the length and style of "gasser" style frame rail I'll be making, chopped the frame, and knocked out the inner sleeves to allow my new frame rails to fit further inside the original rails for a stronger connection. I also cleaned metal on the inside for adequate plug welding.
To allow room fro mocking up my rear suspension, determining my axle width and ultimately the wheel base of the car I started by modifying my body dolly. I redid and relocated the main supports that holds the car onto the dolly itself with thicker material and added flanges to the chassis cannot slide side to side, this allowed the rear suspension to be installed; added a section in the rear to keep the car from tipping back, and a section in front to allow for making my frame rails. I added some threaded rod to help with support and fine tuning when it comes time to level the frame rails. these should be enough to keep the cantilever bars from moving and allow to add a preload for fine tuning leveling if needed. that's the idea anyhow.
I also mocked where the wheels will sit (front to back. not necessarily height) decided to move the front wheels forward 2" for that altered look (and to give some room for fender well headers) note the pics are weird because I took pics through a window.