Determined to make the most of my time off I went back at it again today. And today was a much better day. The folks at KBS credited me for the congealed paint- kudos to their service dept. Turns out the stuff I had already (Rust Seal) is sufficient as a chassis paint. The top coat is only needed to protect against long term UV exposure. So my chassis painting is all set. I also applied more of the semi gloss paint on the fire wall and interior.
I still have a few small parts to paint, but the major part is taken care of for now.
I took a few days off this week to try and get some painting done on the interior and chassis of my car. I'm not sure which of the gods I've angered this time, but it feels like it's been one setback after another.
I did get the doors painted finally (this was the second attempt as I had setbacks with them last weekend). Yesterday the KBS Rust Seal I sprayed reacted with my car. It beaded up in numerous places. Whether I sprayed it wrong, or prepped the car wrong I'll never know. So I spent some time sanding paint back off. I'll try again the next day. What paint didn't bead up ran. So I spent some time sanding paint back off. I'll try again the next day... Then I went to open my brand new can of KBS Chassis paint- and discovered that the paint inside had congealed. Half the can was a solid rubber-like goo that wouldn't mix or thin down with the rest of the liquid paint inside. I spent ten minutes trying to mix it and all I did is break up some of the rubber chunks and made a mess while doing that. Grrr.
At least the low gloss paint I purchased at my local paint supply worked well. It laid down properly and is providing a nice low gloss sheen on the loose parts I painted so far. I'll ultimately use this on the rest of the interior and engine bay area.
I did more sanding last weekend and this, as well as a little more patchwork. My driver door came from a car with the remote mirror. I don't have this so I had to plug the hole, as well as repair my rear corner trim piece that had rusted away.
Then I cleaned up the garage and lined it with some plastic (does anyone watch Dexter??), installed furnace filters over the openings, as well as along the bottom of the garage door with some cheapie fans and painted some of the interior. The dash and panels came out OK, but my doors will require a do over. I spilled sweat on one (rookie mistake), and the other had some sort of reaction, so they will be sanded down next weekend and I'll try again. I'll be taking a few days off and hope to get more of the insides and chassis parts painted then.
This weekend I did some sanding. Lots of sanding. Fingers are raw and dust is everywhere. Next weekend I'll put on another coat of primer and I think it'll be good to go. I'm only making it decent, not perfect. (I'll be doing some debugging, tuning, etc and it will get scratched. Final paint will be later on down the road)