This weekend I made a little more progress- I was able to finish up trimming my cowl panel by lowering the middle section. It sits pretty well now, and I also installed my bottom most panel (not exactly sure of the name) I didn't like how the factory had it attach on the outside of the lower valence, so I re-engineered it to install on the inside. I also filled in the original bolt holes & redrilled them to fit, as well as widened the panel to fill in the triangular shaped gaps that were there. Then I added a flange to fit along the inner edge and finally welded some nuts on the panel for ease of installation.
So I finally have the hood and fenders in a decent spot, and am onto other panels now. I still have some trim work to add to the passenger fender. I don't like the gap by the rocker panel. I also worked on fitting my cowl panel. I had to fill in some areas on the sides to fill in the gaps. The middle are is still high, I'll need to lower that some and then onto other parts.
These past few weeks I've been messing around with trying to align the body panels to get them to fit easily. who knew it would be so difficult. I think it's worse for me as I'm dealing with all different parts (nothing came form my car) and everything is modified. so many variables...
During all this I distracted myself and drilled out some holes on the underside of my engine hood. I went through several drill bits, hole saws itself, and a lot of sweat (I laid my hood in the back yard and worked under the sun)
This weekend I worked on more panel alignment/ fitting. I lost count of how many times I put the fenders on, took the fenders off, made an adjustment here and there, then put the fenders on, then took them off....
I also did numerous trimming on the inner fenders, but not enough as I need to make more. I also trimmed off one of the brackets on the underside of the fender- this allowed me to move it back farther for a nicer fit. I still have to take them off again and trim on the fender to prevent the door from scraping it. I have the gaps pretty tight, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep this, as it looks much better than I remember it being before.
I also took the time to fill in some holes on the core support (it was like it was perforated) and I widened the area for the radiator opening.
The goal now is to get the sheet metal on and aligned, as I have a few more customizing ideas I want to do, but I'll need the panels on for measuring, etc.
If anyone has any tips/ tricks for panel alignment, I'm all ears! This took forever..