This weekend I was able to start on the outer half of the inner wheel housing. Again, not able to leave it alone I had to go and modify it for more room. I trimmed it all nice to fit inside flush to the quarter panel only to weld it in and then see it shrink away. Now I have a nice gap (albeit fairly consistent) so I'll need to fill this in. Hopefully I'll get that taken care of next weekend as well as the trunk extension for the driver side.
I also purchased a set of Kore 3 aluminum hubs. These are nice heavy duty pieces that accept the 1/2" x 20 wheel studs and now I can get rid of my mismatched set of old hubs. This should be the only piece of billet anything on my car.
a few more pics of the driver side. To get my wheels to fit in front- I need to enlarge my wheel openings. This means I have to do this in the back, too. I also plan on making function rear brake ducts out of the details in the panel. I'll need to build that, and, of course, modify the out half of the inner wheel housing and trunk extension.
more pics of the process. These are just a couple of the patch pieces I made to make this transition work in back. I also had to reuse some of the original qtr panel as the repro isn't truly complete. It's like a "vacuum form" of the outer side only.
This weekend I installed my (new to me) repro '69 T/A spoiler, installed (also new to me) some '69 Camaro Z-28 "short" steering arms (pic shows the one I had with the new, shorter one), played around with mocking up wheel sizes and installed the driver side quarter panel.
Although I was hoping to stick with 17" rims, it looks like I'll be using 18x10 in front and 18x 12 in back and should have most, if not all complete suspension and steering travel. I ordered a set of Kore 3 billet hubs and will confirm final wheels measurements after installing those. I'm going to need to trim my wheel openings more to keep from hitting.
Wow, that quarter panel was a lot of work. It would have been a breeze had I just put it where GM did in '67. No, I had to be different. I had to flare it out ever so slightly to give it a more aggressive look. This resulted in a lot of adjusting , measuring, making sure the body lines look right, cutting, making patch parts, recycling what was left of my original quarter panel, blending into my custom tail panel, etc. And this was the easy side. all I had to do was make it look good. The other side will be much more difficult. I'll have to do all that again, as well as mirror the driver side. cool.