more pics of the process. These are just a couple of the patch pieces I made to make this transition work in back. I also had to reuse some of the original qtr panel as the repro isn't truly complete. It's like a "vacuum form" of the outer side only.
This weekend I installed my (new to me) repro '69 T/A spoiler, installed (also new to me) some '69 Camaro Z-28 "short" steering arms (pic shows the one I had with the new, shorter one), played around with mocking up wheel sizes and installed the driver side quarter panel.
Although I was hoping to stick with 17" rims, it looks like I'll be using 18x10 in front and 18x 12 in back and should have most, if not all complete suspension and steering travel. I ordered a set of Kore 3 billet hubs and will confirm final wheels measurements after installing those. I'm going to need to trim my wheel openings more to keep from hitting.
Wow, that quarter panel was a lot of work. It would have been a breeze had I just put it where GM did in '67. No, I had to be different. I had to flare it out ever so slightly to give it a more aggressive look. This resulted in a lot of adjusting , measuring, making sure the body lines look right, cutting, making patch parts, recycling what was left of my original quarter panel, blending into my custom tail panel, etc. And this was the easy side. all I had to do was make it look good. The other side will be much more difficult. I'll have to do all that again, as well as mirror the driver side. cool.
Just a quick update- I was able to squeeze in a few hours this weekend between dodging the rain we've had, servicing both my motorcycle and truck, taking time out to celebrate the St. Patrick's day, and helping a friend install a hood tach on his #'s matching '68 Firebird 400.
I was able to install the top of the dashboard on my car. I also filled in the speaker holes in the middle. Unfortunately, my camera was charging while I did that so the pics are limited this weekend.
I also cleaned my front hubs- only to realize I don't have a matched set. D'oh! One has factory casting #'s, the other doesn't and is an obviously aftermarket turd. So I'll have to step up and get some better hubs, but these will have to do for now. I still cleaned them up, painted them, even baked them on my grille "carbeque", and threw in new Timken bearings/ races and placed it on my car so I could set the rotors on (driver side only) and now I'll be able to calculate the offset for the wheels. Next week. I hope.