I had some time today to work on the car (I have to go in to work tomorrow and won't have a chance to work on it, so I'm posting my weekly progress tonight) but I was able to finally bolt the engine in today. After getting the tubing mounts ready I made the engine bolt tubes out of some chrome moly tubing my neighbor Brett (67Zo6camaro) hooked me up with. He also helped to tig weld them in as I don't know if my equipment is set up to weld chrome moly. I filled in the ends and bolted the engine in. Now I'm in the process of building the trans cross member and mount.
I'll be using the original trans mount and modifying it to fit. I'm working on "scalping" the top so it can sit higher (more exhaust clearance) and building some brackets to weld to the inner frame rails so I can bolt this new cross member where it needs to go. I should get this part finished up and installed next weekend.
I also trimmed the main pipes. They are not symmetrical. the frame rails aren't symmetrical, so these couldn't be. It's OK, they are close. and the main tubes are very close to level. I also capped off the main tubes. I roughed out the ellipses I needed from my old elipse guides I used in college. Those are pre computer tools for drawing ellipses. somewhat obsolete- especially in the work place, but still handy in the garage.
I was able to use my new Eastwood tubing notcher and it worked quite well. Of course, it makes a big mess as I'm using a lot of oil to keep the blade cool.
It took a lot of grinding, test fitting, grinding more, etc. to get them to fit. I first welded them with that "worm bead" and it looked more like gummy worms, so I went over them with spot welding for a cleaner look. I also made some gussets for added strength. Now all I need to do is make the plates that connect to the tube I'll use to trap the engine mount bolts.
What's funny is the pvc tubing I used still fit. I guess I made them accurate, or consistent, to my mock ups...
I also need to make a little more trimming for the engine before it goes back in.