This weekend I built the other patch piece and have it tacked in. I was also able to get my neighbor's rotisserie and get my car mounted up on it. It was quite fascinating to get the car up there and rotate it around. It's amazing how nice it is to be able to work on the underside of the car while not crawling around underneath it through the dolly with only inches of room to move around. It took the greater part of the afternoon to get it all set up. Earlier today I started grinding down some welds and making a couple of small patches that were still needed. I won't be able to work on it next weekend but after that I'll get back to it.
The other weekend I worked on the trans tunnel more. I welded the rest of it in and added some patch panels up front. I also sliced open the rear part along the top to blend into my new tunnel and will need to make a pie shaped patch panel to fill it in.
I didn't think I was going to have any time this weekend to work on the car as there were family plans, but they fell through and I ended up having some time after all. I welded the cap for my recessed firewall on, and, on a whim, decided to see how my center console would fit in the interior. I discovered it didn't fit. Part of the issue is that the console will be moving back some, and, as many of you know, the shape of the console is tapered, so it created gaps along the sides. I had already spliced my console and raised it up a bit, then cut it down the middle to see if widening it would fix it. But then I realized how "hacked" it was looking so I decided to cut the whole thing out and build a new one.
Of course, a project like this would be much quicker and cleaner with a nice metal brake, which I don't have, so I improvised with my floor jack handle, some clamps, lots of groans and grunts.
I haven't finished it yet, but I have it roughly trimmed and starting to tack it in place. After it's in I will build a tapered area in the back to blend it down to the tunnel.