I didn't think I was going to have any time this weekend to work on the car as there were family plans, but they fell through and I ended up having some time after all. I welded the cap for my recessed firewall on, and, on a whim, decided to see how my center console would fit in the interior. I discovered it didn't fit. Part of the issue is that the console will be moving back some, and, as many of you know, the shape of the console is tapered, so it created gaps along the sides. I had already spliced my console and raised it up a bit, then cut it down the middle to see if widening it would fix it. But then I realized how "hacked" it was looking so I decided to cut the whole thing out and build a new one.
Of course, a project like this would be much quicker and cleaner with a nice metal brake, which I don't have, so I improvised with my floor jack handle, some clamps, lots of groans and grunts.
I haven't finished it yet, but I have it roughly trimmed and starting to tack it in place. After it's in I will build a tapered area in the back to blend it down to the tunnel.
Just a quick update- here are some pics of the reinforcing plates I'm making for the frame rails. These will be welded to the frame to help support the load. Following this I hope to work on making the tubes for the engine mounts. Progress will be slow these next few weeks. There's a lot of other family stuff happening.
I also made a panel today to help close off my recessed firewall.