We also started to fit the engine/ trans in the car. My goal is to retain the oem oil pan as well as use the oem brackets if possible. To accomplish this the engine will go back. way back, as well as some trimming to the car. Once again Brett to the rescue with his plasma cutter.
Because part of the firewall will be recessed, I'm thinking it might be cool to make a removable panel inside for access to the back of the engine.
I need to make more cuts to the car, then clean them up. So far it's looking good. clearance for the steering, headers, etc. The trans tunnel will need to be raised a bit to clear the t56 magnum.
The engine mounting still needs to be worked out but should be no problem.
I'll get back out to the garage tomorrow and make more ruckus.
This weekend was very productive! My neighbor Brett helped me locate the rear axle under the car and we have it mocked up in place. Upon measuring, and remesauring we got it pretty square, within 1/16". The welds are tacked in for now, and when the body goes on a rotisserie, then final welds can be done with much more ease.
The upper link brackets needed modification to fit the contour of my frame. I also made a jig to help ensure that the left and right side were square to one another.
The panhard bar isn't on yet, but the mounting bracket for it needed cutting to make it fit.
OK, these past 2 weekends I've been able to spend one day each on making new frame sections for my car. I will weld these in and it'll give a stronger support for the car.
I started out with single pieces I cut out, but ended up cutting them and rewelding them back together for a much better fit.
I'll have the 17th to the new year off of work and plan to work on my car. I hope to get more progress done during this time. Even my wife is out of town (out of the country, actually) so if I don't get much done I can only blame myself!